SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

School Project; Database?

Hey, I'm sure this has been covered, and I'm sorry for the noob question, but...

I am a college student assigned with the task of creating a website to "publish" or show off my group's findings. I took the easy, less impressive route of using Publisher to make a website. It doesn't offer anything special; frankly the options they provide are crap and very un-impressive, however, since this is a class project, and just a way to deliver our findings, I had a question hopefully someone can answer for me: How can I, instead of creating 100 different pages, post information in the same format, but in a simple way?

To clarify, my presentation requires information we gathered on 100 or so different properties in this small town we're researching. Instead of creating a page for each property/parcel, how can I create links to one page, but depending on what link you click, the information changes?

If this is vauge I'm sorry and am more than willing to claify. I'm sorry again if this is been covered, I wasn't sure what to search under. I guess this is a database issue, but I'm sure there are many many ways to do this, which one is easiest. Again, don't care so much about appearance, as I do functionability. Thanks ahead of time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using PUblisher then look at the Catalog Merge functions to get data from a spreadsheet or Access to populate your pages with. I have never done this, have no clue how to do it but saw it on the Publisher web site as a feature.

Good luck.

Another option is to web-enable the project but that would involve hosting accounts, databases, programming, etc. which is probably beyond the scope of what you are interested in learning / doing.
    Scott

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That prolly is beyond the borders of what I'm trying to accomplish. Basically what needs to happen is this...

I have a map of the downtown of a small city. I have divided the area in to 6 different "neighborhoods". When you click on any one of the color coded neighborhoods, it zooms in to that neighborhood, showing all the different properties/parcels. This is all done so far flawlessly.

What I want is when you click on the individual properties/parcels it takes you the that property's information, which will include a picture, address, owner, ect. I would like this to be in a database so as I don't have to create over 100 different pages, each unique to the property it repersents.

I've been looking at XML type stuff, but not sure how to link those to a database that I can create in Notepad (or something better). Is there anything simpler or easier? I am looking at your suggestion in Publisher, thank you for your help so far