SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Logo Design Companies?

Hi I am looking for two logos <snip> There a number of companies who specialize in logos. If I remember rightly HP bought a logo design company not to long ago.

Can anyone recommend a good logo design company or have experience of using one?
    Last edited by Varelse; Nov 18, 2008 at 15:02. Reason: irrelevant domain names removed

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that most of the mass logo companies out there have some pretty basic and templated designs. However, I've had great luck with two companies in particular:

The Logo Loft (little pricier but more professional communication)
    Sleek Logos (dirt cheap and decent quality)

Good luck!
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to recommend semaphore-software.com, also known as Offshore Web site Design & Development Connecticut which is just best for logo designing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best way is to held a competion of designing a logo...
    And offer a prize mony how wins...
    I think with this you got more and more design and concepts...
    By the way what is you nichi of business...

What you say?

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by busylinks1 View Post
    I think the best way is to held a competion of designing a logo...
    And offer a prize mony how wins...
    I think with this you got more and more design and concepts...
    By the way what is you nichi of business...

What you say?
    Where have you found good luck with hosting a competition for designs?
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While hosting a design contest may benefit you in that you'll get a lot of concepts for a low price, I wouldn't recommend it because it really devalues good design. You're asking people to work for free (at least everyone that doesn't win). So unless you're offering some amazing prize for the winner, it's really unethical. And more often than not, you don't get quality work, but you still have to pay for it.

I'd suggest you hire a company to create your graphics. That way you'll get a quality creative logo that's worth every penny you pay.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethayne View Post
    While hosting a design contest may benefit you in that you'll get a lot of concepts for a low price, I wouldn't recommend it because it really devalues good design. You're asking people to work for free (at least everyone that doesn't win). So unless you're offering some amazing prize for the winner, it's really unethical. And more often than not, you don't get quality work, but you still have to pay for it.

I'd suggest you hire a company to create your graphics. That way you'll get a quality creative logo that's worth every penny you pay.
    Sorry, but I'd respectfully disagree. No one is forced to participate in contests, but there are benefits to both sides of the equation. For a company just starting out, it's a way to create a brand when there's very limited resources to work with. On the designers side, it's a good way to build a portfolio for those just starting out (just because they don't win doesn't mean it can't go into a portfolio), or it's a good supplement to someone's income.

On the flipside, paying a design/branding company doesn't guarantee a good result. A company I worked for a couple years ago paid a design agency several thousand (possibly into six digits) dollars for a re-branding effort. And what did they get for their efforts? A logo that was a box with a bunch of random colored shapes positioned in and out of the box. Something I (with very limited graphic skills) could have done within five minutes. Within a year, the company hired someone else to come up with another concept (which was almost as lame) which ended up being the company name in a simple font with one letter replaced and in a different color. Again, not rocket science, nor anything which couldn't have come from a contest.

So a lot depends on what you're looking for. If you're a small organization (or a non-profit) that doesn't have a ton of money to invest on branding, there's nothing wrong with a design contest. If you're a larger company with a significant budget, then working for a design agency might be the way to go.

But to answer the OP original question, I've seen good work from this guy. Where did I first find him? On DesignOutpost doing contests.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DaveMaxwell: Thanks for your comments, and I agree with you there. Design contests are a great place for designers to start out (heck, that's where I started building my portfolio). But by hiring a company, you'll most likely get work produced by someone who has experience with design, rather than one who is just building up a portfolio.

I think I was a little bit too direct earlier in saying that by hiring a company you will always get a good result. Obviously, you could run across a company that is not producing quality work, but just because a logo is simple, doesn't mean it's bad.. Just look at Microsoft's logo; just text with a small chip out of the "O". Or even Apple's logo; just the word apple with a silhouette of an apple next to it. There's nothing technical about these, but I can tell you there was some serious thinking behind them, and it's the concept and branding that sets them apart.

Anyhow, I think we can live with different opinions

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of an open competition. Check out 99designs, it is a strong site for this kind of competition, and I've seen a lot of good work come out of there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethayne View Post
    I think I was a little bit too direct earlier in saying that by hiring a company you will always get a good result. Obviously, you could run across a company that is not producing quality work, but just because a logo is simple, doesn't mean it's bad.. Just look at Microsoft's logo; just text with a small chip out of the "O". Or even Apple's logo; just the word apple with a silhouette of an apple next to it. There's nothing technical about these, but I can tell you there was some serious thinking behind them, and it's the concept and branding that sets them apart.
    I agree with you 101%. Concept and branding.

@justlukeyou, you could always hire a company on a project basis. Ask them to submit atleast 5 designs of the logo. I know a design company that increase it's client sales up to 50% for brand identity. You could try codecsmedia.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what the logo is for, and the size of your company. Mindfire Interactive does some great logo work.
    Download Software - Your place to Download Software
    PPC Management - Premium SEM, PPC Management Service
    Web Design - Award Winning Website Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me when I say this, go with Dache.ch by far the most talented logo creator I've ever met. Stunning Work!

www.dache.ch
    WebTouchUp.com
    Website touch-ups at flat rates! 64 hour turn-around time!
    Why get a re-design when you can get an upgrade?