SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fluff posting on the forum

Our forums have been experiencing increased levels of members joining the community with the sole intent of building back links and promotion of their signature links. These signature spammers do nothing but clutter our forums with loads of unwanted posts and is something we want to see the end of.

In order to eliminate this, we are going to make a few procedural adjustments. They are as follows:

• Signature Links will be no-follow until a member reaches 100 posts
    • Signatures are not visible to search engines, see updated announcement
    • A new infraction has been introduced for individuals who continually post fluff on the forums

The aim here is to weed out signature spammers via our infraction system before the member reaches 100 post and gains any benefit (which is questionable anyway). Over time, this will deter individuals attempting to game the system in the first place...

So what is a fluff post?

A fluff post is a post that doesn’t add any value to the thread. Stuff like ‘nice post’, ‘that’s cool’, ‘that’s helpful’,'thanks for sharing'. Now I’m sure we’ve all made our fair share of fluff posts (myself included) and that’s okay. A fluff post here and there is not a problem, but if the majority of your posts are fluff, you’ll certainly catch our attention. You’ll be warned first, then receive an infraction, then banned if the behavior continues...

How can you help?

We are building a number of internal processes to assist in identifying these signature spammers, but you, members of the community, are best positioned to help us eliminate this frustrating behavior. I ask that if you do see something that feels like signature spamming, please point it out to a forum staff member (via the little orange flag -- ).

We are hopeful that this will eliminate the problem once and for all without needing to resort to anything drastic and the forums are better for it.
    Last edited by ScallioXTX; Sep 3, 2010 at 01:56. Reason: The report button is now an orange flag
    Shayne Tilley

My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post.

j/k . I think this will be helpful. I've noticed this especially in the SEO section. It may even be useful to disable signatures altogether until a certain post count is reached.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm expecting a few of those replies

Disabling signatures is an option, if what I mention doesn't work. But I'd like to limit the impact on genuine members (even ones with a low post count) as much as possible.
    Shayne Tilley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic move forward Shayne. But alot of "SEOs" still think a link is a link, regardless of nofollow, why not just have no signature show up until 100 posts?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babyboy808 View Post
    Fantastic move forward Shayne. But alot of "SEOs" still think a link is a link, regardless of nofollow, why not just have no signature show up until 100 posts?

then more spamming will be done to reach 100 post

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shayne This should help the situation tremendously, and I feel this was a move that was most definitely needed. It's good to see action being taken against this. If then more stringent methods are still required, I'm sure the community will be behind you.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I've definitely seen an increase in these fluff posts especially in old threads that are a few years old... If I see a definite fluff post I'll alert a moderator and it gets deleted pretty much immediately. Kind of annoying but if we're diligent, we can prevent these jerks from reaching 100 posts and keep the threads useful.

Cheers,
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viron86 View Post
    then more spamming will be done to reach 100 post
    Which will make them really stand out and a moderator will be able to ban them from the forum long before they get to 100 posts.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing (as somebody who is before 100 posts myself at time of writing!).

I think the "No signatures before 100 posts" would've been tricky to manage, as I try and make posting on this forum useful and lengthy, as such, it's going to take me longer than say some spammy guy from the subcontinent to reach 100 posts. I think anybody who wants to contribute to this forum will feel likewise. The connections I get from this forum are more important than any SEO benefit, so it'd be nice if people can see my twitter etc. from the off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is not helpfull in avoiding the spammers to post links rather it become trickey to get to the posts more then 100...
    Then a race for greater no of post increased to reach more then 100 numbers...
    I think as SEO guys are tricky enough to get this no without any blocking...
    isn't so?

I think the reporting about the post is OK to avoid things like this...
    And the restriction on the no of post per day...
    For example, It is allowed to post not more the 5 to 10 post a day....
    Then how can any one spam links if is not allowed to post more then 5....

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear some of the responses in this thread are exactly what the original post is on about, only they have taken a bit more care to pad the replies out a bit

Oh the irony...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by busylinks1 View Post
    I think it is not helpfull in avoiding the spammers to post links rather it become trickey to get to the posts more then 100...
    Then a race for greater no of post increased to reach more then 100 numbers...
    I think as SEO guys are tricky enough to get this no without any blocking...
    isn't so?

I think the reporting about the post is OK to avoid things like this...
    Yeah, buts posting "fluff" has become a big problem on sitepoint. Thats why they have the procedures of limiting it.So we can have a more succesful forum. LOL, why do you plan on spamming the forum?
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see something being done about this.

Is this something available in vBulletin straight out of the box? Or did you need to add some sort of plugin or addon? Or perhaps it's a custom script?

Perhaps signatures could be non-existent for those under 20 posts, then you get a nofollow signature, then when you hit 100 posts it becomes dofollow? That's a little more complicated, but it would be a medium between the current system and what is being suggested above ^.

SitePoint Enthusiast webslicers.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this works, alright. But like it or not, spammers are here to stay. Watch out, you spammers, you! Shayne et. al. are here to get you!
    www.webslicers.com [Follow me!]
    We slice your designs in perfect handcoded XHTML and CSS.
    Guaranteed W3C standards compliant and checked against all major browsers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    Nice to see something being done about this.

Is this something available in vBulletin straight out of the box? Or did you need to add some sort of plugin or addon? Or perhaps it's a custom script?

Perhaps signatures could be non-existent for those under 20 posts, then you get a nofollow signature, then when you hit 100 posts it becomes dofollow? That's a little more complicated, but it would be a medium between the current system and what is being suggested above ^.
    It's a custom script Ryan
    Shayne Tilley

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO to avoid "Nice post, Thanks for sharing, Good info...etc" we need to have a THANKS button. If a member really likes the post he will just press the THANKS button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahangir View Post
    IMO to avoid "Nice post, Thanks for sharing, Good info...etc" we need to have a THANKS button. If a member really likes the post he will just press the THANKS button.

That could work, however I don't think that spammers given the choice will probably not press it, but instead post "Nice Post, Thanks for sharing." with their links.

Also, there's the posts which are just one liners that state the ruddy obvious such as "SEO is a great way to build up search engine rankings".

SitePoint Enthusiast webslicers.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought...

Why don't you delete the old posts especially the non-sense ones in the Off Topic or General Chat area? You could easily find them. There are a lot of such posts in those sections. I noticed that these threads are the ones constantly receiving 'fluff posts'. Maybe you could set a number of days for these kind of posts to stay in the forum then delete them after.

Just saying...
    www.webslicers.com [Follow me!]
    We slice your designs in perfect handcoded XHTML and CSS.
    Guaranteed W3C standards compliant and checked against all major browsers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webslicers.com View Post
    Why don't you delete the old posts especially the non-sense ones in the Off Topic or General Chat area? You could easily find them. There are a lot of such posts in those sections. I noticed that these threads are the ones constantly receiving 'fluff posts'. Maybe you could set a number of days for these kind of posts to stay in the forum then delete them after.
    Some old threads still contain useful information that might be searched for. It would be better just to lock the threads instead of deleting them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahangir View Post

I think that is a great idea, but maybe a better idea is a 5 star rating system for threads and maybe posts as well, like Amazon and Youtube etc.

It would be easier to come down on fluff (the in-proper way of saying thanks) if there is a 'proper' way of saying thanks.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great to see this is going to be implemented. I've seen it in many areas other than the SEO too. What grinds my gears are those who have nothing to contribute that helps the questioner other than get their post count up. They simply rephrase what was already said in detail, so as to make another showing for their sig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linkin99 View Post
    It's great to see this is going to be implemented. I've seen it in many areas other than the SEO too. What grinds my gears are those who have nothing to contribute that helps the questioner other than get their post count up. They simply rephrase what was already said in detail, so as to make another showing for their sig.
    Yes, I really hate it when people rephrase stuff that other people said without contributing anything
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umm what is the little red triangle .. I can't see it?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozwebfx View Post
    umm what is the little red triangle .. I can't see it?
    Look below yours or someone else's avatar, and you should see a circle (green if the person is online) and next to it and red triangle with a line running down it (exclaimation mark?!?). This is to be used for reporting fluff posting, spam, or anything else that is against the forum rules.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by busylinks1 View Post
    For example, It is allowed to post not more the 5 to 10 post a day....
    Then how can any one spam links if is not allowed to post more then 5....
    Some of us have such incredible amounts of relevant knowledge and love for our fellow man that we can actually post more than 10 useful posts a day.