SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you choose a web designer or a firm?

Other than a nice portfolio and sweet talks, what clicks in your mind that this guy is the man!

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't go out and actually choose a web designer (I am a web designer), I find that the biggest factor my clients seem to hinge on is how likely I am to "own" the project. They want to have input, but they understand that there is a reason they hired me.

My best guess is that they are looking for someone who will allow them to influence the process but they don't want to make every decision.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone asks why they should use me to build their site I tell them to contact some of my customers directly. I've no problem with that, and as a customer looking for a designer you can get first hand feedback.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to me its all about communication. its very hard and frustrating to communicate through email because it can take up to a day to get a response. i would suggest making sure that they are able to talk through instant messenger or on the phone before you hire them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a web designer, I think my clients like that there's no BS when I meet with them the first time and explain to them how I do things. I tell them that my business is to make their business money, and I use my portfolio and past clients to back it up.
    Chris Reynolds
    Crey Design
    Arizona Web Design
    Personal Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some web designers do wonderful work, but are incompetent in project management. You want someone who handles your project in an organized and professional manner, and deliver it on time.

Before choosing a web designer, get on the phone with his or her current clients and ask them about their experience with this particular web designer. This way, you will get to know what to expect and not get disappointed later.
    FREE Book: How To Increase Your Profits In Any Economic Climate
    64 proven marketing strategies that will skyrocket your profits!

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tragu View Post
    Some web designers do wonderful work, but are incompetent in project management. You want someone who handles your project in an organized and professional manner, and deliver it on time.

Before choosing a web designer, get on the phone with his or her current clients and ask them about their experience with this particular web designer. This way, you will get to know what to expect and not get disappointed later.
    I agree. When sitting down for the first time with a new client who already has an existing website I ask why they are looking for a new designer. More often than not the reason is due to poor communication and a lack of project management with their current web development company.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly clients look for someone professional with a decent portfolio. But all factors help, including: communication, ownership issues, design speed/quality, practically everything you can think of that goes into making a site and client relationships.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go to guru and read some of the reviews that the developer have. I have done that in the past and gotten good results.