SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can anyone recommend an online ASP tutorial that is as simple, complete, and well done as kevin yank's current "Building a Database-Driven Web Site Using PHP and MySQL"?

i'm looking for something that starts from the beginning and gives source as examples. i'm having a hard time finding something that either provides and shows how to create a small database in access and then gives instructions on pulling out some simple info and sticking itside some html with asp, in a live setting, and not between two internal machines, as kevin's does for php and mysql.

i'm a little weary of chunking down another ~$50 for a book that has loads of what i don't need and not enough of what i do.

thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by dyobmit (edited July 12, 2000).]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand http://4guysfromrolla.com has got some great ASP tutorials on their site. Sorry I can't be any more specific -- ASP is next on my list of things to learn. :-)

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks.

i couldn't really find anything that basically gave a simple database and a simple script that would pull some stuff out of it. i tend to learn better when i can use a working example first before i have all the technical information. that way, when i'm reading all the specifics about how the scripting and/or database works, i have something to visualize in my head. i think that's why your PHP tutorial works for me. i could set up the small joke database and one simple page of code and blammo it lists the jokes i put in the database. it just seems better for me to work from a base of something and add to it rather than learn everything and then try to remember each little piece as i assemble something from scratch, or try to alter an example that is so totally different than what i need that i can't really do anything with it. thats how i learned html.

so i went ahead and picked up _teach yourself active server pages 3.0 in 21 days_ by scott mitchell and james atkinson from 4guysfromrolla.com. i'm just about through to day 5 now and this book seems to cover things in a way that makes a bit more sense than some of the other books i've read.

so thanks again for the suggestion and thanks for the great PHP article. fine work.