SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much do I need to know to make a living developing websites? Which is more money?

So I'm creating websites, so far not for a living, I make almost comfortable salary and so I'm in no hurry to become the next web guru.

The truth is I love working on websites, I could sit in front of a computer for 18 hours, well got to leave for bathroom, and lunch, dinner and other things, but you know what I mean. What I'm saying is that I enjoy it so much that eighteen hours seem like two hours.

How ever I'm confused as to how much you need to know to start building websites for a living or started your own business.

Which area of web development make the most money or allows you to survive.

Flash, PHP. ASP.NET, Ruby, XHTML/CSS.

One of my big worries is that I don't know sevver side scripting language.

So do I need to find someone who'll take care of that side?

How much do I need to know.

I see companies like "HUGE" and they just intimidate me. It's like when I'm I going to be able to work over there or do what they do?

Please give me your honest advise.

Again I'm not doing websites because I'm bored. I do it cause I love it.

It's like making music, you love doing it and nothing else.

Thanks everyone.

IC

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The short answer: everything.

The more practical answer: As much as you can.

Basically, the more you know the better off you are. I think if you want to make a living you should definitely learn at least one sever-side language. Which one is a matter of your target audience and whether you are going to work for yourself or work for someone else.

Companies generally like ASP.NET. However, if you are going to work for yourself it's a personal preference. I prefer PHP, but know both.

HTML and CSS are a must. Flash is really good to know. PHP or ASP.NET (or both) is also excellent.

The more you know, the more you can do, meaning the more money you can make.

I think web development is one of the careers where it is absolutely vital that you are a life long learn and constantly studying. I think I read at least 10 pages of new web-related stuff a week, and sometimes I go up even more to 100 or more pages a week. Read books, read online material, experiment, and play.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Sam, more you know - the better you are. I have a working knowledge of 9 languages... I have written a small amount (10-40lines) in 4 or 5 others. I could easily take a few months just reading php books.

So would I jump into a company as a SR PHP Dev, no not yet, would I do it for a UI SR Dev yeah probably.

Decide what you want to do and focus. I know somebody who is a web designer but she only focuses on MySpace layouts. She can do a good deal on a MySpace layout, but take her out of MySpace she's a fish out of water...
    Ryan B | My Blog | Twitter

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that note, you also don't want to specialize too much for the same reason.