SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only scrolling I see on your site is in a Java applet. I did not see any Javascript on the main page.

Since Java is essentialy pre-compiled you would have to contact the creators to find out why its not working in Netscape. The reasons could be many and without looking at the code there is no way of finding out the exact bug.

p.s. You might consider slowing it down a little. Its very hard to read at that high speed.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would make a Java script work on IE5 but not on Netscape Navigator? It's a simple text scroll... I've installed it successfully on my home page - http://www.parentingadolescents.com - for viewing in IE5, but Netscape Nav gives me a lot of garbage on their Java console. Any help appreciated!

------------------
    Parenting Adolescents
    ---Where parents & teens get expert answers for free.---

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've checked the applet in Netscape, and it works just fine?!? My version is 4.71 and I'm on Windows 98. I don't have a problem with it, so maybe you can tell what version of NS you're using.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:
    The only scrolling I see on your site is in a Java applet. I did not see any Javascript on the main page.

Since Java is essentialy pre-compiled you would have to contact the creators to find out why its not working in Netscape. The reasons could be many and without looking at the code there is no way of finding out the exact bug.

p.s. You might consider slowing it down a little. Its very hard to read at that high speed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luke, thanks for your suggestion re slowing scroller down--have done so--Sorry that I named an applet as a script--but the XY!Z# applet won't work on my Netscape (4.5)--so I have to go back to Anfy for reason why? Argh. Thanks again.

------------------
    Parenting Adolescents

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Elledan:
    I've checked the applet in Netscape, and it works just fine?!? My version is 4.71 and I'm on Windows 98. I don't have a problem with it, so maybe you can tell what version of NS you're using.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Ellen... I'm on Netscape 4.5 and Windows 95...so maybe it's just people like me that can't see the applet on their Netscape browsers. Still, there are probably plenty of people out there LIKE me. Argh. Luke (see prior reply) says I have to go back to the manufacturer to find out why it doesn't work on my Netscape. Any other ideas? Thanks for checking!
    Jean.

------------------
    Parenting Adolescents

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could ask other people with the same configuration to check it too, but I don't know whether there are still many people with W95 and NS 4.5. Anyway, I'd suggest to change the script. If it doesn't work in one browser, there are probably more browsers with the same problem.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update your Java Virtual Machine. My guess is that you don't have the updated Java Virtual Machine that Microsoft sent out as an upgrade after Internet Explorer 4.0 was released. The Virtual Machine that shipped with Internet Explorer 4.0 is incompatible with both SUN and Netscape implementations of Java. The newer virtual machine is compatible with all three while retaining the added "functionality" brought on by interacting with the Windows Environment.

By either installing Internet Explorer 5.01 or downloading it from Microsoft's site. Sorry I don't know an exact address for the download at this time.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my query. I downloaded latest versions of both IE and Netscape, and at first my text scroll still didn't appear in Netscape, but when I cleared the cache, it did! I had no idea that clearing the cache on the browser was so important for optimal (or even decent!) performance. Sorry it turned out to be such a silly thing.... and thanks for everyone's time!

------------------
    Parenting Adolescents