SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Do people get Jaxer?

Jaxer seems quite exciting, but no one on sitepoint forums has really talked about it... i come here for the best talk!!

any thoughts?

links:
    http://ejohn.org/blog/server-side-ja...pt-with-jaxer/

http://aptana.tv/movies/jaxer/PlayQT...tartWith=flash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, I heard about this a while ago...

Essentially it doesn't really bring anything new to the table for the user - all it does is make development faster, at a cost perhaps?

It's been possible to run JavaScript on the server-side for a quite a while with technologies like Rhino for Java. All this "Jaxer" thing really gives us is a more seamless way of integrating Ajax functionality (Obviously it has a tonne more capablities but this is the only one which sparks my interest). I can't say anything positive about the questionable coding habits it promotes.

At the moment my feeling is that the server-side should be kept to the server and the client-side should be kept to the client. I'm all for the actual JavaScript language being available on the server-side but it just seems incredibly messy to go mixing stuff up like Jaxer does.

The main problem is that Jaxer is a brand new toy and nobody can wait to play with it. I just hope people don't go to crazy with it... - If they do their users may be the ones to suffer.

Don't get me wrong; I do like it, and I think it has a promising future, we'll have to wait and see...
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's impossible to tell what kind of script is actually rendered on the page as I can find no actual live online demo of it. I don't know what it is doing but I would assume it is generating all the ajax stuff for you. My concern is if this is unobtrusive or spaghetti central once the page is rendered in the browser.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

True enough, in theory I like the idea, and I think it's informed me on a approach to "ajax" coding that I hadn't thought of (i'm fairly new to ajax) - but there's something 'magical' about it, and after ten years as a web developer, that also makes me a little sceptical.