SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

showing a product as "Actual Size" and screen resolution?

I have built a design your own ring applications which shows the ring magnified for detail. I want to make a "show at actual size" button that will shrink the ring to show the customer how it looks at actual size. The problem I am facing is that the "actual size" will vary per screen, is there any way to address this, even if its some type of disclaimer stated actually size is based on a certain resolution or ppi?

Thanks!
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

Nicking the Bevel Highway Seven's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screen resolution isn't the only factor you're dealing with; you have to consider the size of the monitor as well. An image displayed on a 15" monitor with 1024x768 resolution will be smaller than the same image on a 17" monitor with the same resolution.

You can't show an image at actual size on a monitor, but you can put it next to an object of comparable size that the user can use for comparison.
    Daniel

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can determine the browser resolution, and if you based in on DPI as 72, you could roughly calculate how to get it the proper size.

Also, you may want to put something like a centimeter (or inch) scale on there to compare with.

But, to be 100% accurate I don't think there is any 100% way, but you can get close.

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfauno View Post
    Screen resolution isn't the only factor you're dealing with; you have to consider the size of the monitor as well. An image displayed on a 15" monitor with 1024x768 resolution will be smaller than the same image on a 17" monitor with the same resolution.

You can't show an image at actual size on a monitor, but you can put it next to an object of comparable size that the user can use for comparison.
    Thats why I was thinking of ppi and saying that Actual Size is based off of 72ppi..... But I just pitched this to a person on the business side of the logic and he had a good point that the average customer has no idea what ppi is.
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    Well, you can determine the browser resolution, and if you based in on DPI as 72, you could roughly calculate how to get it the proper size.
    You're forgetting that monitors come in different sizes.
    Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps View Post
    Thats why I was thinking of ppi and saying that Actual Size is based off of 72ppi..... But I just pitched this to a person on the business side of the logic and he had a good point that the average customer has no idea what ppi is.
    Not only that, but you generally want to stay away from targeting any feature of your site's usability to a specific group of users. It's kind of like telling everyone else who doesn't fit into that group that they aren't as important.
    Daniel

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know monitors come in different sizes, but 72 dpi is supposed to mean 72 dots (pixels) per real-world inch, so at that point monitor size shouldn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    I know monitors come in different sizes, but 72 dpi is supposed to mean 72 dots (pixels) per real-world inch, so at that point monitor size shouldn't matter.
    Right... but if 2 monitors of different size both utilize a 1024x768 resolution, which one will display 1" correctly?
    Daniel

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could let the users graphic card comput the pixels. Test using the units in, cm, mm, with different monitors:
    Code HTML4Strict:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <html lang="en"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <title>Untitled</title><meta name="generator" content="PSPad editor, www.pspad.com"></head><body>

<h1>Compare these fixed widths with a A4 sheet.</h1>
    <p style="width:8.27in; height:1in; border:1px solid red">8.27x1 inches</p>
    <p style="width:21cm; height:2.54cm; border:1px solid blue">21x2.54 cm</p>
    <p style="width:210mm; height:25.4mm; border:1px solid green">210x25.4 mm</p>

</body></html>
    EDIT)
    On my laptop 210mm displays as 203mm when I check.

Happy ADD/ADHD with Asperger's

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot of the monitors I have lately are using 96dpi and not 72dpi. Some are showing even higher dpi. The actual dpi that they use depends on both the monitor size and the resolution it is set to. Assuming 72dpi will be wrong more often than not and assuming any other fixed dpi will be equally wrong. There is no way of determining the true dpi in use on the screen from a web page in order to display something at actual size.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The measuring I suggested by fixed units I think can be relyable on flat panels, not on crt tubes.

You all are assuming the average user has an old type monitor, maybe they have, but I think every visitor can decide if the display is a flat panel or not.
    Happy ADD/ADHD with Asperger's