SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot virginiamonkeys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XOOPS vs Drupal vs Typo3 vs Joomla vs whatever you use

I hate to bring up an old discussion, but software changes quickly and I couldn't see a fairly recent thread on this. Just stuff from the 2004 to 2006 era.

I installed Typo3 several years ago. It is Typo3 3.8.1.

I realize there are newer versions, but never installed it because it was a pain to get 3.8.1 working on my server and was afraid I'd break what was working.

I wasn't very impressed with the learning curve. There is a site on it now that my wife has and she uses the Typo3 application to update her site.

It took a long time to get TemplaVoila to work, and TypoScript just isn't my thing. Plus the support seemed to be mostly German or whatever. (I realize the "official" support is English, but I saw more German that I could use than I could access.)

I realize the newer versions MAY be easier to learn/use.

So, I want to get a few more sites going for other users. I downloaded XOOPS a few days ago and installed it and played with it for the last 3 days. I choose XOOPS because it was the 24th most popular download on Sourceforge.

XOOPS looks fairly easy to use. But the look and feel of everybody's XOOPS site looks the same to me. Aside from the looks, it seems like a good engine.

I started researching Drupal yesterday. Much cleaner looking site, but haven't gotten to the engine yet.

I researched Drupal and realized there is a strong following also for Joomla. Haven't even had a chance to look at that.

What I need

I need to run several sites for several different users, under different domains and/or files. They will be able to edit their site. It will be like RealPages (YellowPages) or MerchantCircle does for their customers. (Although I never actually used RealPages.) But it should look like their site, and not an extension of a much larger site. The user should be able to edit the content and maybe choose a stylesheet, but shouldn't be able to change HTML relating to the template, only to the text. I should be able to add pages for them that they can add content to. They can upload images and this and that. Maybe even a blog or an ecommerce application. This probably won't evolve into a forum, but who knows.

I am willing to go back to Typo3 if it has gotten easier to use.

I am not a TypoScript person, but do know some .php.

SitePoint Zealot virginiamonkeys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I posted in the wrong section. I was hoping to get a few answers by now.

Could this be moved to a more appropriate category if I posted in the wrong place, please?