SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefox 2 vs Firefox 3 Usage Percentage

I've just finished porting a design from photoshop to html/css. It's pretty much pixel perfect in Firefox 3, Safari, Opera, Chrome, IE6 and IE7. However I just fired it up in Firefox 2 and found that there are 3 completely different rendering issues. For what is a pretty simply site, I'm amazed it's so broken in Firefox 2.

It will take me a couple of hours I predict to fix these issues, which makes me wonder, is it worth it? How many people are there that still use Firefox 2 over Firefox 3? From what I gather, Firefox users generally know what they're doing and as a result, like to keep up with the latest version, plus I'm pretty sure when Firefox 3 was released, users of Firefox received a notification encouraging them to upgrade.

Could I please get some further information on this? Is it worth the frustration of making my design work in Firefox 2 while trying to keep it looking good in IE6 and IE7?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a fine case of "speaking too soon". Although each of the rendering bugs seemed to be unique, they were all related to the "display: inline-block" behaviour of firefox 2. The solution couldn't be more simple. To fix, all I need to do was add "display:-moz-inline-box;" below each occurrence of "display: inline-block;" in my style sheet.

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardrop
    Is it worth the frustration of making my design work in Firefox 2 while trying to keep it looking good in IE6 and IE7?
    Yes it definitly is, some of the really good extensions are not yet compatible with FF3. Witch will ensure FF2 a significant userbase for a while yet.
    Happy ADD/ADHD with Asperger's