SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent article! However I am still having problems with the installation on my system (windows 98)

I have downloaded and unzipped mysql ( there's not setup.exe progra contained)

On post installtion setup tasks. Where do i type the commands to set up my root password for mysql? in the ms-dos prompt?

PS AM not a computer Whiz! So if this seems trivial please indulge.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you must use Dos promt

You can check up this MySQL basics introduction(for Windows 98/NT): http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/mybasic.htm

Hope this will help you,
    Marko

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    syntax_error also contacted my by email with his query. Thought I'd post my answer here:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>&gt;Excellent article! However I am still having problems
    &gt; with the installation on my system (windows 98)
    &gt;
    &gt; I have downloaded and unzipped mysql ( there's not
    &gt; setup.exe progra contained)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct -- all that's involved in installing MySQL for Windows is unzipping the programs into a directory.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>&gt; On post installtion setup tasks. Where do i type the
    &gt; commands to set up my root password for mysql? in the
    &gt; ms-dos prompt?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. You'll find the 'mysqladmin' program in the 'bin' subdirectory of your MySQL installation.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>&gt; mqsql and php is all i need to build a site that's
    &gt; data base driven? correct? or do i need a host that
    &gt; also offers mysql/pho on their servers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To build a site that's data-driven using the techniques described in my article series, you need three things:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>MySQL
    <LI>Web server software with PHP installed
    <LI>A computer to run them on
    </UL>

Obviously, if the computer is not connected to the Internet 24/7, the site will not be available all the time. For this reason, I'd recommend installing the above on your own computer so that you can work through the examples in my series and learn how to do things. When you're ready to put a site online, you'll need to find a Web host that offers PHP/MySQL on their servers. A good, inexpensive host that offers these services is http://www.fivedollarhosting.com/. You can't argue with PHP/MySQL hosting for US$5/month. :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>&gt; PS AM not a computer Whiz! So if this seems trivial
    &gt; please indulge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's okay! :-) If there's anything still confusing you, please feel free
    to write back.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!