User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protect My HTML and pictures?

Hi guys and gals,

Hope all is well with each and every one of you. Looking for some advise on how I can protect my html and pics from others surfing and stealing. For one I dispise people downloading my sites and using them without paying for them. I really don't want anyone stealing the pics either.

My main objective is to possibly encrypt the source, so when I put a site up for a customer to review before final payment, they dont screen scrape or download the entire site, and don't pay me the other 50% of the job.

I am asking if there are any known (cheap - ) software proggys that would encrypt the html-css, and if there are, are there any known issues I should know about?

Anyone have the problem I do with customers stealing the html before paying you the other money due on the site? I get 50% up front and 50% due upon completion. Naturally, as I go I like to show the site for approval, additions,proofiing purposes. I guess I could creats a pdf with the pages?

Ill sit back and see if there are beter ways to handle these issues.

Thanks in advance

Tec

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's only one way. Don't put them online. Other than that, all you can do is exercise due dilligence and strict enforcement of copyright laws.

Since this is for client work though, just show them watermarked images of the works in progress.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are lots of programs out there that you can buy that claim to be able to protect your page source. They vary somewhat in how they obfuscate the HTML and in how much they cost but they all have one thing in common - all you need to be able to completely reverse all the "protection" that they provide is a web browser and a small amount of knowledge of how browsers work.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only need one line to prevent right clicking in Firefox and Internet Explorer (Opera ignores this and other no-right-click scripts). This line of JavaScript will block both right clicking and accessing the right-click menu from the keyboard. It will not block viewing the source or downloading images in other ways.

PHP Code:
    <body oncontextmenu="alert('You may not right click'); return false;"
    Keep in mind that while that script will stop some people from stealing your digital photos and HTML source there are many ways to get around it.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabella_Smith View Post
    You only need one line to prevent right clicking in Firefox and Internet Explorer (Opera ignores this and other no-right-click scripts).
    There are so many ways of being able to recover the plain text version of obfuscated page source that a simple no right click script (which can be turned off in some browsers and overridden by a simply disable no right click bookmarklet in any browser) will if anything just encourage the theft of the content by those who think being able to walk through the side of a wall-less barn is something clever to do in order to get around the fact that the barn door is locked.

If a client was going to try to steal the design you did for them they'd most likely try File/Save As first so as to save everything in one go and a no right click script would just get saved along with everything else without their even knowing it was there. Of course there's no point in spending hundreds of dollars on a program to obfuscate it for you when a free script is just as effective and a lot cheaper (assuming that they don't find out about the one liner to undo your obfuscation.

Only obfuscating the source would stop some people from being able to use it since not everyone knows about the one line of JavaScript that they can run the page through to unobfuscate the HTML back into the original.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disabling right-click is a really bad idea - it will irritate your users as they can't use their mouse properly! Plus it only works in some browsers.

If someone really wants your content then as everyone has already said - you can't stop them.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disabling right click is useless if the Javascript on the browser is TURNED OFF so stop what you are thinking because its useless.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do thank you all for your great contributions to this post. I knew you guys would give an honest opinion.

You are appreciated