SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Are you selling your images?

Are you making any money from your photography either directly (e.g. people licence them from stock libraries) or indirectly (e.g. you get traffic to money making web pages by attracting people from your images)?

If so, how?

I've started making some of my images available on RedBubble.com and have sold a few prints, but not enough to retire on. Just wondering what other people are up to...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just opened an account at www.stockxpert.com, I'm hoping for mostly additional traffic.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't taken a step in this direction yet, so ofcourse I'm not making any money yet!
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to sell more of my landscape photos as that is my favorite photography genre but I make a lot more money with taking portraits of people and pets.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that post about 20 Killer Ways to make money on the web. Has anyone tried Istockphoto?
    Started to read their terms and it seems like they don't pay you until you reach $100 ?
    Is it possible to sell images that were taken with an 8 MP $250 digital camera? In other words, less than the very high res photos that a pro would take?
    I bet there are some subjects/topics that are much more salable than others, but what would they be?

SitePoint Enthusiast sergeo_syd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do on Corbis, all RM only.

-Serge

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have accounts on like 10 microstock websites, 6 seem almost dead to me, 4 are generating decent profit. I'm using iStock as well, but as i am not a pro photographer, they seem a bit hard for me for the moment.

I may state, having 500-600 very average photos of average-selling subjects may bring you 50-70 $ monthly from a good website. If you may really take good shots or are working with models, i would double that sum at least.

You _may_ take and successfully sell photos with a cheap small camera, that's normal, but you just will not have "space" for errors and subjects - i.e. ideal lights and a limited range of subjects. So you will just waste more time which is money too..
    A huge list of resources for designers and content producers
    to buy, sell or share stock photo images and other content.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeo_syd View Post
    I do on Corbis, all RM only.

-Serge
    btw, Serge, could you tell, if doing RM at these "serious" "classical" websites do you need to be really "pro" with good equipment and skills or you may try with both on average levels? in your opinion...
    A huge list of resources for designers and content producers
    to buy, sell or share stock photo images and other content.

SitePoint Enthusiast sergeo_syd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that matters is your work. If you can produce some images with nice location and good models that look the part not just some one handy, well styled and all the legal Property and Model releases signed it does not matter. Pro or not, what the hell is pro anyway?
    The thing is you canít afford to do it right with micro stock prises (thatís a real shame), no matter what anyone tell you.
    Now even the entry level cameras are well over 12-16mp so the equipment is Ö practically Zero issue. Its all about the image. All you need is 10 good, commercial shots to start with.

I hope that answered it Ö

Quote Originally Posted by Tsid View Post
    btw, Serge, could you tell, if doing RM at these "serious" "classical" websites do you need to be really "pro" with good equipment and skills or you may try with both on average levels? in your opinion...