SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allowing clients to edit their website

I some small clients (5-10 static websites) that would like to update their own websites, text changes, etc. but are not the best fit for a full CMS.

I have been thinking of adding a tool for my client so that can make edits via a browser. Do clients appreciate this or do they just make a mess.

Does anyone use any tools you can recommend for doing this? I prefer PHP.

I have only come across one tool that looks promising thus far it's called visualEdit at http://www.activecampaign.com/visualedit

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are heaps of open source cms systems out there you can download, most of which are written in php. there are some very basics ones that would fit any of the sites you mentioned no problem.

however as a web designer one thing i do notice with a cms is that client can ruin there own website. they have control, to do what they want which can be a bad thing.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try a simpler CMS such as WordPress - there are several plugins which restrict what a user can do in the admin area. They would have a reduced risk of messing things up!

Or you could try something like SnippetMaster - which works reasonably well but personally I find it a bit clunky.

Or you could build yourself a little backend setup which would allow the user to login and edit existing page content without actually touching anything else.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project