SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help! Looking for resources for creating professional drop down menus.

I'm looking for a tutorial that walks you through the creation of a CSS Horizontal Nav Bar drop down menu.

I see a lot of website with Sophisticated drop down menus, I am fully aware that some of these menus are CSS mixed with Javascript or Javascript/DHTML.

I could buy a template or menu maker, tear it apart and study the codes but I want to learn from scratch.

Is there a book, online tutorials or video that anyone in here knows about and can recommend? The funny thing is I went to Lynda.com and all the CSS tutorials mentioned nothing about drop down nav nar.

There are tons of tutorials out there when you Google "drop down menu" but the problem is most of these tutorials are out dated, buggy, and not fully compliant.

I have tons of CSS books, unfortunately, none of them talks about drop down menus and it's just frustrating.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

IC

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to be careful with dropdowns as most of them aren't accessible (e.g. you can't move around the site using just the keyboard for example) and some don't work at all with JS off.

Here are a few that are better:

Accessible Suckerfish Dropdowns These are very plain looking but obviously you can use CSS to style them to look however you want.

Twin Helix Freestyle dropdowns Uses JS to fancy up the CSS dropdowns but has pretty good functionality and keyboard accessible.

Superfish Dropdowns Only came across this the other day but it looks interesting - again, keyboard accessible.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused then. I totally understand what you mean and your point is very important. However, I was just wondering what sites like bestbuy, circuit city and others were using for drop downs.

What about flash? Well, same thing is it will not work if the user does not have flash installed on his or her computer.

IC