SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very very new to web design

hello everyone! like the title says I'm new to web design, and i have a few questions. first of all Im starting out by making a web portfolio for myself but have no clue were to even start, what program to use, were to make the graphics, how to put it into an application that applies it to the web. so if anyone could help me with this it would be awsome!

a bit of info about me:

I have Adobe CS3 programs and no how to use most except the web apllications.

I have a account on lynda.com

I have been looking into Css but am still very new to it.

Thanks for suggestions fellers!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would really like to here or see is starting a site from scratch... nothing that would be amazing cause thats were I'm at.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i was you, I'd research and read up on CSS.

After that i would practice making valid css layouts with no images, just colored blocks. whenever you get stuck on part of it, google it and figure out whats going on. After doin 3-4 different css sites like that youll be alright on that for a bit, then u can tackle graphics

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome to Sitepoint!

I'd suggest starting off with a free HTML editor such as PSPad or Araneae (which I still use!) and a really good tutorial site such as http://www.htmldog.com or http://www.cssbasics.com and just start - give it a go!

As far as graphics programs go - there's the Gimp which is a free, quite powerful graphics programme but it's not very user-friendly. Photoshop Elements costs around £70 and has about 80% of the functionality of the full programme so may well be worth a look.

Apart from that all you need is a freebie FTP programme such as Filezilla or AceFTP and a little webspace somewhere to experiment.

I'd suggest avoiding WYSIWYG programmes such as FrontPage, Expressions or Dreamweaver at least until you are very familiar with the code itself (and preferably after that too!).

If you're going to be good then you need to know the code - using WYSIWYGs just delays that plus you spend too much time learning to use the programme itself rather than building websites AND they're expensive!
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've had some good replies so far. My suggestion is before opening any of the CS3 Suite, you learn HTML and CSS. You will be much more comfortable then using say Dreamweaver to code yoru websites.

As the suite is already available to you, this is my suggestion:
    1. Photoshop or Fireworks to create your design layouts
    2. Dreamweaver to code up your designs.
    Also check out the Development Center over at www.adobe.com - they have numerous tutorials that will help you get started either with the design or with both design and coding.

Nadia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also suggest w3c schools, particularly as a reference site:

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfast75 View Post
    I'd also suggest w3c schools, particularly as a reference site:

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

Yes, thats a good site, you can also test or try practicing online with that site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For beginners like you, visit the given sites above. They're mostly tutorials on how to code sites. And more likely begin immediately with CSS codes and not the tabled ones.

Another tip is when coding, as much as possible please avoid using WYSIWYG programs to code your website. Learn the basics from manually checking your codes. That way you can familiarize yourself from any errors that may arise later on.

SitePoint Evangelist WebMachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that one of the most useful and interesting ways of learning how to build a website is by taking one of those tutorials or books that lead you through the building of a real site from start to finish. It puts all those codes into a context for you. A good one is the sitepoint book "Build Your Own Website the Right Way Using HTML & CSS". I have really learned alot from project based books.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am a SEO and know only dream weaver partially, i wanted to know that to be a Perfect webmaster i have to be familiar with all web design tool ?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rginfotech View Post
    Hi,

I am a SEO and know only dream weaver partially, i wanted to know that to be a Perfect webmaster i have to be familiar with all web design tool ?
    The tools don't matter - you can use Notepad or Dreamweaver it's irrelevant.

What matters is the quality of the code (and for this you really need to be able to hand-code well), the quality of the design, the usability and accessibility of the site and obviously the content itself.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop for creating and exporting graphics.
    Text editor for css and html.

I would not advise using dreamweaver for learning. It teachs bad practice.
    Even though you would be able to make websites quicker using it if you don't know how to hand code.
    Depends if you want to be a professional designer.

If it is a hobby then dreamweaver.
    Professional then handcode it.

I am guessing you want to build websites for other people since you are making a portfolio. You will need to learn hand coding(in text editors).