User Tag List

Thread: A Real Idea...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Real Idea...

Anyone who recognizes me knows that I had asked about designing a social networking site. I wasn't about to go further with it, so I just let it go.

However, I now have a real idea that I want to seriously pursue. I already have the domain name because when I thought of it and checked it and found that it was available, I had to have it.

I don't really want to give away the idea of the site, but I have to question just to see if it is even possible.

I will have people register on the website and then will ask only a few key things. They will then be asked to vote on several topics and I want their information that they provided to be automatically sorted and have it displayed in a graphic and have the graphic format based on which demographic votes the most.

The only similar thing that I can think of is like the CNN.com presidential election when the votes were recorded and then the state colors turned red or blue depending on who won the state. I don't know if it was automatic, or did they have someone who actually updated the graphic by hand? What format was that in? Java?

I hope that is clear enough. Is it even possible to do?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There are several "Graph" utilities, eg. PEAR Image Graph.
    The graph images are created dynamically using data pulled from a database (or you could hard-code a static graph too I suppose). The PEAR package is a bit out-dated perhaps. So you could look into others like http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&...utf-8&oe=utf-8 if you have PHP. If you have something else a search should give you some idea as to what's available.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably better off leaving all of that to a designer?

I think the idea of the website will be very basic, but I'm not sure how it's going to work exactly. It's in my head, just don't know how to put it on the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sure it is possible to do. Wether it will work as a business idea, we need more information. I doubt anyone would steal such a generic idea but don't take my word for it.