User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to download book

hi
    I want to create a website for the book i have just written. It is 500 pages and on my computer.
    I am not interested in making money from this I just want to make it accessible to people to read. I want people to be able to download it from my site.
    I know HTML, CSS etc to build the basic site. but what would be the best way to download the book to the users computer?
    I am aware of Pdf. Would it be a good idea to put the book in the form of a large pdf file? If so how do i chanfe a file top a pdf file? Or would it possibly be better to place it in a database and use php and mysql to download it?

thanks,

cass27

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make it available as a pdf file.
    To make a pdf - get something like Primo pdf, it acts as a virtual printer. Once installed, you select it as your printer from within your word processor, choose somewhere to save the file, and that's it.

On your site, just make a direct link to this file and type next to it the magic, secret incantation that empowers downloads "Right click and select Save as...) It's always a good idea to give the file size and type next to the link as well.

You might want to make a zip file of the pdf to make the file slightly smaller, and link to that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use StarOffice - it can save to PDF.....I wouldn't bother putting it in a database, just turn it into a pdf - much easier

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've downloaded primo pdf. this looks like a good package. I can also see that if i put it in a zip file it will download to the users computer. But the question is, if they do not have a zip extractor application on their computor would they be unable to open it?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everyone has a zip extractor...
    Included in their OS usually

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm. so they have.

cheers

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always give then a choice, a zipped up version or the full pdf.

Another idea if the file is too large (remember it will also create bandwidth usage on your server as well whenever someone downloads), is to break it up into chapters...

Nadia

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P View Post
    You can always give then a choice, a zipped up version or the full pdf.

Another idea if the file is too large (remember it will also create bandwidth usage on your server as well whenever someone downloads), is to break it up into chapters...

Nadia
    Thanks Nadia, I think the chapters idea will be the most functional way foreward

cass27

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think PDF is more secure than text files. PDF people can't extract/copy the text, as far as I know?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think pdf will be safe and useful. Go for it. Apart from pdf, check it out with some e learning softwares, i think they also give the option of downloading, well don't know much about it but just inquire about it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyjetsu View Post
    I think PDF is more secure than text files. PDF people can't extract/copy the text, as far as I know?
    They can, it's fairly straightforward, but that's not the point.

The real beauty of using PDF's is because it gives a uniform set of standards throughout. Every computer on the internet is probably set up differently, and displays things differently. PDF will allow people to download a file to their computer and print it like it should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally prefer PDF when it comes to ebook. It can easily be accessed by your readers and they can also download it if they want to.
    I love this Handy Shop!