SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

800 x 600 resolutions

Is there any point these days in making sure your website can be viewed in a 800 x 600 resolution without a horizontal bar? Im just curious because sites like this and many others when viewed in 800 x 600 do not resize and therefore show a horizontal bar. I've made it quite a habbit of making sites in fixed width of around 775px so they display correctly in 800 x 600 but I am thinking to just create my future sites with a greater width.

Thanks

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You will get many answers to this question aaron! Personally I dropped 800x600 full support last year but try and make sure your site is still usable at that resolution.

There are folk still using it though!
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't supported 800 x 600 in 2 years. Yeah, there are people who are still using it, but you have to think about the type of person who still has an 800 x 600 resolution setting. Chances are, it's probably an older person or someone who doesn't use the internet often.

I say that because most people upgrade their computers often, and even the cheapest computer monitors, graphics cards and systems out there can support better than 800 x 600.

So even though some people still use it, you have to consider if it's even worth making your sites usable for that audience.
    Chris Reynolds
    Crey Design
    Arizona Web Design
    Personal Blog

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't done so yet, please read The Definitive FAQ on Screen Resolution by Simon "zcorpan" Pieters. (Personally though, I aim for a 750px minimum.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use Google Analytics, check your stats on Visitors|Browser Capabilities|Screen Resolutions to see what percentage of your traffic is still using a 800x600 setting. I checked one of my sites just now and that was only 4% of the visitors. Extrapolated to a year, that is about 5,000 visitors a year for that website. Then ask yourself what you have to do to worry about that 4% (or whatever your number is).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is though, screen resolution is meaningless. The real metric you should be watching and testing against is the browser window width since not everyone has their browser maximized. And even then, a minimum document width of 750px ensures that a Web page will be able to print on a US Letter (I believe it's also called A4) sized piece of paper without having to adjust for anything or suffer from loss of content due to said content being clipped from the sides.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I abandoned those users a few years ago.
    They are kind of no value to me since they can't afford a displayer of higher resolution.
    Last edited by spikeZ; Nov 6, 2008 at 15:13. Reason: fauxsig removed

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still code for 800px wide browsers - or rather I now tend to build fluid layouts that still work down to that width. The reason being you can never know what size people actually have their browser window for one but mainly in fact because so many of my clients have that set up on their computers even if they have a huge wide screen!

I'd be mad to ignore my own clients!
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krendion View Post
    I abandoned those users a few years ago.
    They are kind of no value to me since they can't afford a displayer of higher resolution.
    A lot of those using much lower resolutions are those with heaps of money to spend on the fancy handheld devices that can access the internet without needing a bulky computer. So only the poorer web users will have the huge screens you are catering for.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Stephen wrote, my Ericsson K660i's screen width is nowhere near 800 pixels, and I doubt any cellphone's display will come close for many years.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because a user's screen is capable of displaying at 1920x1200 resolution, odes not mean to say they will have a browser maximised.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sites like this though display a horizontal scrollbar when viewed in 800 x 600, do you think a horizontal scrollbar for users with that resolution is much of a problem?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    A lot of those using much lower resolutions are those with heaps of money to spend on the fancy handheld devices that can access the internet without needing a bulky computer. So only the poorer web users will have the huge screens you are catering for.
    I won't support 800 X 600 resolution on computer screens. However its not difficult to cater to mobile devices at the same time with a simpler layout and style. Especially when you can redirect them to a .mobi version of your site. It may not be accepted by the web development elite but its viable and works.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    I won't support 800 X 600 resolution on computer screens.
    Do you support a 750px wide version for printing? Anything wider than that doesn't fit with the waysome printers set margins.

If you are going to support being able to print the page then why not allow the same format to display on the screen. There is no reason not to support 800x600 screens since you need to support the width for printing anyway.

Also a 1600x1200 screen is just sized nicely to display two 800x1200 browser windows side by side so that you can look at two sites at the same time.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well with my Green Living site under development, it is designed to be viewed online. If they choose to print an article or tutorial the 300 pixel right column won't be printed so the page will fit nicely on a printed page. The right column won't be needed on a printed page anyway. It will contain advertising, site navigation and some links to worthy causes. When printed all the user will want to see is the content anyway. They don't want ads and online navigation. Of course being an environmental related site, printing is already discouraged which is why I want to make it available on iPods, iPhone and other wireless devices.

For the mobile versions, it will have search, articles in a descending chronology and a button for a transit calculator that I am working on. Possibly a button to update a carbon footprint account.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what about those who will "print to PDF" so they can view the content offline?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll still get the content offline. It isn't like links and advertising is going to make it easier to read.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    Just because a user's screen is capable of displaying at 1920x1200 resolution, odes not mean to say they will have a browser maximised.
    Not maximised right now. I'm a creature of habit that way, especially at work.

And as Dan alluded to going wider means possible print problems, although these can be worked round with print-specific style sheets.
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.