SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WordPress 2.7 beta release

http://wordpress.org/development/200...ess-27-beta-1/

I'm testing the beta now. The only major changes are to the admin panel. I like it so far, although I'd be inclined to go for a sans-serif font for the menu, not a serif one. It certainly looks a lot slicker than the previous admin panel but has gained some of the usability and simplicity of the 2.3 branch.

Anyone else have an opinion on the new version? I know that a lot of people hated the 2.5 admin panel upgrade so hopefully there isn't another backlash from the masses over this change as well.

The only serious issue I have is with the fact that they've redesigned that admin panel at all. I doubt one of my plugins (see Simple CMS plugin in my signature) will work with this version so I'll probably retire it to the junk heap of incompatible plugins which won't work beyond version 2.6.3. I figured once I made it that it would work for quite some time since Automattic had said that 2.5 would be the last admin panel change they intended to make. Little did I know that six months or so down the track they'd change their mind and do a total rebuild I can't be bothered writing a plugin if it has to be redesigned from scratch every six months so I'm giving up. Other plugins have mimiced the behaviour of my plugin since then anyway, so it won't be a huge loss to the community. I am a little grumpy about it though.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the beta not have the new threaded comments? That was something of interest to me since I might need to change my plugins that work with the comments.php template.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I just discovered you can install plugins direct from the admin panel now. Seems like a bit of a security risk, but hopefully they've got those holes covered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the beta not have the new threaded comments? That was something of interest to me since I might need to change my plugins that work with the comments.php template.
    I heard them saying something about removing the threaded comments recently. They had too much stuff to do so decided to leave that till 2.8 I think.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I heard them saying something about removing the threaded comments recently. They had too much stuff to do so decided to leave that till 2.8 I think.
    Ah. I hope so, actually, I have enough to do this week without rewriting a bunch of plugins and themes.

I did just move another static website to WordPress tonight through

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've done a good job of supporting existing plugins by the looks of it. I expected my SimpleCMS plugin to fail in a rather spectacular fashion due to how drastically they've modified the admin panel, but it does still work, albeit there are some bugs. I won't be fixing them though, thankfully there are now copycat plugins with better features than mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Ah. I hope so, actually, I have enough to do this week without rewriting a bunch of plugins and themes.
    What plugins have you written?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can you click on 'Dashboard' in the admin panel to show a submenu which contains a link to the same place the top level menu item links to? That seems rather pointless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    What plugins have you written?
    WP Review Site (first version was almost two years ago), WP Calais Auto Tagger, WP Calais Archive Tagger, Zune Social Plugin, and WordPress Blog Stats.

I also have 7 themes I've made for WP Review Site that might need updates to their comments.php files for the threaded comments.

I had made some others for my own blog, but I got rid of them when I switched designs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that updating to the new threading system is optional for theme designers. Themes will still work without threading being implemented, they'll just keep the same boring old stagnant system that is currently used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a nice video from Mark Jaquith about the new WordPress post features:

http://markjaquith.wordpress.com/200...ublish-module/

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really a fan of the new Admin Center. The columns make it look cluttered and the ugly grey section headers are blech. I like the 2.6 Admin Center with Lighter Menus. I think having the dropdowns at the top for key operations is the better way to go.

For the sections, e.g. posts, should scroll open the section not assume I want to create a new post. Just a collasol waste of time now with page reloads. Going to three columns to create a new post just destroys learned workflow behavior and again adds time to the process.

I don't know. It will take a lot of getting used to and I doubt that I'll upgrade anytime soon due to plugins and familiarity. It doesn't seem to add any thing innovative that wasn't already covered by plugins but it does seem to destroy existing trained workflow processing.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------