User Tag List

Thread: DellHost?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DellHost?

I'm having some major difficulties with my current web host. I keep getting error messages from all of the monitoring services I use, and I have problems getting to my site myself. It seems like its just the web server software, as E-mail, Telnet, and FTP services all work fine. And I also don't like their tech support. Each time I E-mail them, I get very snappy remarks and basically, I'm told that I don't know I'm talking about, and that there's no problem with the server. They used to be a great host, but in the past few months their service has degraded.

I'm looking into DellHost's Linux hosting. Anyone had any experience with them? Dell's site is run on Windows 2000, so I don't know how much experience they have with Linux. Are the Linux servers responsive? How's their tech support?

I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks.
    Last edited by computertim; Jun 4, 2002 at 14:39.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey!

I haven't used DellHost personally, so I can only give you hearsay opinion...

DellHost trades a lot on the Dell brand name, but Dell itself isn't involved in the business any longer. I believe that it's now owned by Sprint.

I hear that their Linux tech support isn't great, and that their Linux shared hosting has had ongoing problems.

I don't want to bash DellHost - but you can certainly get better quality hosting from a multitude of smaller companies - even if their brand isn't a household name.

Good luck with your search!

Jason
    Jason Phillips : jphostworks
    hand crafted high technology

http://www.jphostworks.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered their linux hosting day before yesterday, and I cancelled. Needless to say it's very poor. Although it's very easy to get a hold of their tech support, they're basically helpless and Dell lacks alot of core features. Also, they do not allow you to set up any DB's on Linux servers, only on Win2k servers, and they only allow you to setup Access.

Pretty poor imo
    MSN: eqseller989@hotmail.com
    AIM: Qosis55