SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Job Advice (mostly Adobe CS3)

I've been designing websites for years, focusing on content. I never began studying techinical web design until a few years ago and still have a long ways to go. I upgraded from FrontPage to Dreamweaver long ago and more recently moved up to a Mac and CS3, Web Design Premium.

I've finally acquired enough skills to qualify for at least an occasional IT position in the area. One of the most exciting is a part-time position just five blocks from my home. I meet all the qualifications except this:

Web design experience using Photoshop, ImageReady, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat and other relevant products required.

In fact, I'm very experienced with Photoshop - but only for creating and modifying images, not to actually use as a web design tool. People on forums often talk about creating websites by "splicing" Photoshop images, but I'm not even sure exactly what that refers to, as I've never done it.

I've just begun learning Illustrator and have a long ways ago.

I've never used InDesign before, and I'm not really familiar with ImageReady. When I was working on my PC, Image Ready used to open automatically when I was performing certain operations in Photoshop. I thought believe ImageReady had been incorporated into Photoshop in CS3.

And isn't Acrobat simply a program used to view PDF files? What do I need to learn about it in terms of web design?

The job application period ends two weeks from now, and it will be another week before they begin interviewing candidates, giving me a little time to take a crash course. Do you think it's possible to get a handle on the skills I need in that amount of time? It looks like you can download trial versions of InDesign and Acrobat9Pro at http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ Do you think the trial versions will have sufficient features to let me acquire the skills I need to qualify for a job? (I can't afford to purchase the full versions right now.)

What should I learn about Acrobat?

And can anyone recommend any tutorials or resources that will help me learn about "slice-sites"? I assume people simply create large background images in Photoshop or Illustrator, then slice them into smaller images for faster loading - right? I'm just not familiar with using that technique in web design.

In fact, the competition for this job will be fierce, so I my expectations aren't high. However, my forte is writing, which is emphasized on the job announcement.

Thanks for any tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sign up for a $25/mth subscription - http://lynda.com/ - this site has everything you will need regarding tutorials, but it will be hard cramming it all in in such a short amount of time.

good luck,
    Keith

¬.¬ shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    InDesign and Acrobat are really for print, seeing as the job is asking for web design I'm assuming the requirements was written by someone in HR without experience in the field.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babyboy808 View Post
    Sign up for a $25/mth subscription - http://lynda.com/ - this site has everything you will need regarding tutorials, but it will be hard cramming it all in in such a short amount of time.

good luck,
    Keith
    Ah yes, I've seen that site before. It might be worth exploring.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All kinds of tutorials on Adobe.com
    http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/tutorials/main.html
    Looks to be a good resource…

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I've encountered Adobe when involved in web design is where an external designer sends a PDF file of the design, and its up to the XHTML guy to turn that into XHTML, CSS and images.

As for splicing - it's easier than it sounds.

When I make a design (god help us!), I use FireWorks to create an image of what I want it to look like. I then create a XHTML template in Notepad++ based on that, and add some CSS to make items position correctly (margins, padding etc - sometimes the X and Y positions of items help with getting it spot on) and add colour. Then, the bits that need to be images (logo, etc), I export as a high quality JPEG image.

You keep the layered PNG, so when you want changes, you first copy the png file and then modify it to how you want it - so you know how it should look and if you should do it, before touching the code.

Using that I can create a design quickly, knowing what it looks like before I even touch notepad.

You can also do this without it needing to be in layers and vectors - i.e. with the PDF, I cut the image and paste it into fireworks and work on that.

But I'm with Logic with this one - it doesn't exactly look like it's by a designer.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrar View Post
    Yaa just visit adobe.com for your adobe CS3.....!
    What?!

Anyway moving on,

I havent sliced an image from PS to DW for at least 8 years. There are easier ways to design and construct without letting PS/DW create a whole ton of garbage for you.

So here is my (quick) take on things.

1) Plan on paper what you want the site to look like - no detail just a rough layout plan in pencil.

2) In pen, go over your main elements. Positioning divs, images etc so you have a more obvious plan.

3) Move to PS and start mapping out the main elements of the page. Masthead, content columns etc

4) Put in place required design elements such as dividers, placeholders, backgrounds etc.

5) When you are happy that you have all the elements you need to create your page, use the CROP tool and take only the parts of the image you need.

6) now armed with your images go to DW. Look at the plan you created in step 2 and wireframe the design

7) Add the elements you cropped off the PSD and you should have your basic page.

Thats a rough guide to what I do but people are different.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that one of the best places to learn is Lynda. It's cheap and their video tutorials are excellent.

If you already have a really strong design background and can use Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. proficiently, then obviously, focus hard on XTHML and CSS.

Whatever you do, forget anything about "slicing Photoshop files" when it comes to web design. Anyone who does that IS NOT A WEB DESIGNER. That's what people do who have no concept or understanding or ability to build websites.

Learn to code by hand, learn about web standards and web usability and go from there.
    Chris Reynolds
    Crey Design
    Arizona Web Design
    Personal Blog

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crey_Design View Post
    Whatever you do, forget anything about "slicing Photoshop files" when it comes to web design. Anyone who does that IS NOT A WEB DESIGNER. That's what people do who have no concept or understanding or ability to build websites.

Learn to code by hand, learn about web standards and web usability and go from there.
    I appreciate that advice. I've seen many references to slicing on the Macromedia/Adobe Dreamweaver forum. Even when I was just a beginner, I thought it sounded somehow amateurish - but I figured I must be missing something, because what did I know?