SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS For Web Designers

Hello fellow web designers... I am after a CMS that is easy to use and is really flexible in terms of adding cool graphics, etc.

I like Joomla, however, it seems too cumbersome. Especially when you try to show clients how to manage the site... it is way too confusing for them. (even thought it is easy for us).

I have used Interspire, but they are starting to get a bit greedy... Good product though.

Has anyone used Vivvo? I like the look of that one... it is private label

Subdreamer looks good, but I think it is a bit hard to customise....

Bitrix is cool - bit confusing for the average client but very good...

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for it, but it should be:
    - Private Label Feature
    - Easy for Clients to Update/Manage
    - a few cool modules available

What are other design agencies using?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about expression engine and wordpress? wordpress is pretty simple to use.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not tried this one, but it's free...
    http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/...om-scratch.cfm

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by directmoo View Post
    how about expression engine and wordpress?
    They're the ones I'm using. Getting more work/enquiries from people using ExpressionEngine these days too.

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new client has to have a pretty good argument to convince me they need something more than wordpress. If they're turned off by the "blog" part, that's fine. Tons of blogs exist that look just like a traditional website. You'd never know it was a blog software powering it. But, it's the automation of the wordpress promotion that is the deal winner.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen View Post
    Getting more work/enquiries from people using ExpressionEngine these days too.
    Ditto here as well

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to find a CMS that isn't crazy-involved for designers - can someone in the know discuss Expression Engine a little? I'm looking at their site, but I'd like to hear from users.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orracle View Post
    I'm trying to find a CMS that isn't crazy-involved for designers - can someone in the know discuss Expression Engine a little? I'm looking at their site, but I'd like to hear from users.
    EE certainly takes a bit of getting used to, so may not be the right option for you if you're after something with minimal learning curve.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    > But, it's the automation of the wordpress promotion that is the deal winner.

i've not ever used a cms. what does "automation of the wordpress promotion" mean? sounds interesting.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen View Post
    EE certainly takes a bit of getting used to, so may not be the right option for you if you're after something with minimal learning curve.
    Understood. I'm not so worried about a slight learning curve as I am wanting something that the theme/skin is separate from the system. The more I look at Drupal the more I seem to get what they're doing (at least I think). I downloaded the core version of EE but I can't tell what it lacks vs. the commercial version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not so worried about a slight learning curve as I am wanting something that the theme/skin is separate from the system. The more I look at Drupal the more I seem to get what they're doing (at least I think). I downloaded the core version of EE but I can't tell what it lacks vs. the commercial version.
    The theme is certainly separate from the system; the HTML of your site will be whatever you tell the templates to output.

My problem with Drupal is that it comes with so many default system stylesheets, that you have to chase your tail trying to override styles set in stylesheets that non-admin users will never get to see. So for your public-facing site, you end up having to write way more CSS than should be necessary. Drupal also seems to output lots of superfluous mark-up too.

And I don't think the core version lacks anything that the commercial one doesn't except that you can't use it commercially (not certain of that though).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just created my web site using Expression Engine and although i've not had any experience with any other CMS, EE is amazingly flexible. It's not solely directed towards weblogging which I think the other CMS's are.

It took me a while to get my head around the language of EE and its use of templates and groups and not actual individual pages so to speak. But Boyink's Tutorials (www dot train-ee dot com) were really invaluable to me for getting past that initial learning curve that EE has.

The main difference between core and the commercial version, is that you get several more modules, such as the ability to add members to your site, add a forum or a wiki and as already mentioned you will need this version if you intend to sell or gain something from your website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Joomla for a couple years now and have never had a problem with a client having trouble with it. I think Joomla 1.5 has even gotten easier to use as far as management of content goes. I also think the community is great with all the extensions and plug-ins are available.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EE does have a learning curve like every other CMS but once you get the "EE eureeka moment" it's only then that you realise how powerful it really is.

EE is a CMS that you tailor to the needs of the site you're building by using custom data fields, categories and "weblogs" - think of "weblogs" not as blogs but content sections/types.

Let's say you want to build a products section, you'd create a new "weblog" called Products, then assign some custom fields for the products like:
    Product summary
    Product description
    Product main image
    Product code

And then you want to build a FAQ section, just create a new weblog and add some custom fields...
    Faq question
    Faq answer

And then you decide to categorise things, so create a Category Group and assign it for use with both your Products and Faqs. This means a product and a faq item can both be assigned to the same category - this then allows you to easily show FAQ's that relate to Product A on it's product page, or link to the product page from a FAQ article. That's just a brief example!

All that is really just scratching the surface on EE capabilities