SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to use the new HTML <canvas> tag

New elements are showing up in browsers, the most exciting being the <canvas> tag which will allow drawing inside a HTML element using javascript. Here is a tutorial from Mozilla though it works the same in all the modern browsers.

Of course, by modern browsers, I mean NOT any version of Internet Explorer, though 3rd parties are working on some sort of plugin users must install that uses VML and javascript but not native, standard support.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks promising. I looked into SVG a while back and really liked it. It would be nice to be able to render some graphics (esp. dynamic ones!) using client-side script instead of needing to download the graphic files.

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    Looks promising. I looked into SVG a while back and really liked it. It would be nice to be able to render some graphics (esp. dynamic ones!) using client-side script instead of needing to download the graphic files.
    FWIW, you can render dynamic graphics using client-side script with SVG, too. The differences and when to use which are explained in http://csimms.botonomy.com/2006/02/1...-less-filling/ (slightly old article but still relevant and accurate except that today the major browsers that support SVG also support canvas).
    Simon Pieters