SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newsletter functionality - a nightmare

I was contracted to design a site for a client and I in-turn hired a programming company to build the back-end of the site. Part of the programming is collecting email addresses and arranging them into groups to send monthly newsletters and announcements to. The client has around 5000 subscribers.

The problem is, I don't think the server my programmers have the site on can handle the mailing task. I think the first time it sent out a newsletter, it got flagged as a spammer.

They say they have fixed the issue, but the most recent announcement did not go out at all.

Is there a way I can bypass the current server and use a different one or some other service for getting these newsletters out? Is there something pre-built that is inexpensive that has more features than just a basic mailing list?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could ask your programmers if they included a chop function for the list, that will chop the list into sends of no more than 60 mails at a time. Most mail servers are going to flag thousands of mailings at once...it is too hard on the servers and on other users. It is best to send the mail in small groups and to make the entire sending process 'nice' so that it only sends out when the cpu is free or has low usage.
    Joyce Miletic RHCT + Systems Engineer
    Navisite Dedicated Hosting
    http://dedicatedhosting.navisite.com
    "24/7/365" Myth or Reality?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They tried that and then it took too long for my client to be happy with.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who is it that's blocking the emails? the hosting company? if so why not contact them and persuade them that what you're doing is not spam and get them to not block this.