SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Downloading a template

I downloaded a couple of templates I liked. But what do I do next to create the webpage through the template? Do I need a program to use? Or can I use something microsoft has?

I want to make a website to promote some of the affiliate programs I belong too.

I am more confused than I thought!

LOL

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is to learn enough (X)HTML and CSS to help you tweak the site to your needs. How much you need to know (as opposed to what you should know) is something I can't answer. The Sitepoint library is chock full of excellent how-to and reference books, and there are a kazillion sites out there to walk you through basic code and design. If you really want to entrust your site to something like Dreamweaver or another WYSIWYG editor, I won't be the one to say you absolutely shouldn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a good way to get my site going for free? What are some free website makers? Not the cheap looking ones like yahoo geocities, but are there good ones?

SitePoint Zealot theawristocrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmdimy View Post
    Is there a good way to get my site going for free? What are some free website makers? Not the cheap looking ones like yahoo geocities, but are there good ones?
    I cant think of any. There are some add free hosting but your monthly bandwidth would be limited..

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kompozer is a free web editor with a good wysiwyg view as well as source code editor. It has a built in css editor as well. But it's publishing feature is a bit poor and most users use a separate ftp program instead.
    http://www.kompozer.net/
    It is an update to the much older Nvu editor. It's not perfect, but it is free.
    It's wysiwyg view is more accurate than that from older versions of Dreamweaver (I've got an old version of DW and it can't display floated items in any sensible way, while Kompozer does. But DW's publishing/ftp system is truely excellent.)
    It also has it's own forum where you can get help from experienced users.
    http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/forum/

Working from the template - save it in two locations (one in your website folder and one elsewhere as a backup).
    Open the template in the web folder, edit the contents, and use Save as to rename it, thus leaving the template intact. Normally, you'd edit the first version saved to have the menu and logo and site name as you want it, then use that as the file to make all your other pages from.

There are some free hosting sites, and some others that do not charge for hosting if you buy a domain name from them, and are also advert free. Here are a few I've bookmarked, but not used.
    www.freedomain.co.nr
    www.summerhost.info
    www.atspace.com
    www.awardspace.com
    www.110mb.com
    www.members.freewebs.com
    www.freevirtualservers.com
    www.free-webhosts.com - a directory of free web hosts

I should repeat that I've never tried these, so I can't comment on how reliable they are. But if you just wish to experiment, one of them may be helpful.
    Last edited by Dr John; Oct 30, 2008 at 09:39.