SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Error Installing SQLite (OSX Leopard) Given Instructions From 'Simply Rails 2'

I am receiving the following error. Unlike others who seem to have been experiencing a similar situation, I have the latest XCode version.

I've followed the instructions in the book to the character. What could be going on here?

---

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
    Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:
    ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
    checking for fdatasync() in -lrt... no
    checking for sqlite3.h... yes
    checking for sqlite3_open() in -lsqlite3... no

make
    make: *** No rule to make target `ruby.h', needed by `sqlite3_api_wrap.o'. Stop.

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4 for inspection.
    Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4/ext/sqlite3_api/gem_make.out
    [mycomputersname]:sqlite-3.6.4 [myname]$

---

Suggestions?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. SQLite3 is installed by default on Leopard. Did you run gem install or gem update?

Question 2: Did you type "gem update" or "sudo gem update"?

(Saying "I followed the book" is no help since I don't have the book.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, I had 3.4.0 installed by default and upgraded to 3.5.4 as per the text. Checking the version confirms that the update was performed successfully.

I did run gem install and updates several times when trying to alleviate this problem.

The text advised that the sudo command should be used, so that is what I did.

Appreciate the response. Let me know if I can clarify further - I'm quite new to Ruby/Rails.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your XCode version? I know you said it was current, but what's the version number? Also the version number for Gem?

Only thing that comes to mind at the moment is to reinstall SQLite3 from the source code, so that you get the file you're looking for. You'll want to install it to /usr/local when you run configure. (I don't usually run SQLite. Since mySQL is where I'll be running in production, I like to develop with the same db. Differences are minimal, but it takes one more variable out of the deployment equation.)

I've usually found Hivelogic to be reliable, so here's a link to their article on Leopard, if that helps.