User Tag List

Thread: Required Fields

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Required Fields

Hi..

I am building a form, and I want to make some of the fields mandatory/required... can this be done simply with xhtml or do i need to use something else?
    aj

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm, xhtml is for data markup. Validation is behavior, you have to use either Javascript (for client side validation) or, better, a server side technology (PHP, etc) to validate data.

If you don't understand much of what I said, you're on the start of a very interesting path (web development is quite fun, hehe). Read some books

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AJ,

You're going to have to use a server-side programming language (such as PHP) to handle the validation and "required" parts of the form. Of course, you'll have to use HTML to "mark up" the required elements so the user can know which parts of the form have to be filled out (or else), but the script that processes the form would handle the actual work to see if the required fields were filled out.

You can use JavaScript to "pre-validate" the form, but it will only help as an assistant rather than actually handle the validation itself. If you'd like to see a good example, check this out (made by a friend of mine for someone else). http://www.cutcodedown.com/for_other...on/contact.php

The directory is unlocked, and the PHP source files are available by clicking on the .phps files (you can view them directly in your browser). Also note that the fieldset containing the submit button should be removed - a DIV is better used there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone.. thanks for the info..

joaquin_win i have a lot of catching up to do.. but it's going well so far

again .. thanks
    aj

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...