User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RFC 2821 Email Validation

Hi,

I'm looking for some tool or website to validate our emails (not the email addresses!) sent through php.

Our problem is, that some users don't receive our mails, mails get spam rated or they can't read multipart/alternative mails.
    Sometimes we have luck and there is a user that does some research. Than we can try to fix the problem, but even than we don't want to annoy them with testing our mails.

Some sitepoint article pointed to http://spamcheck.sitesell.com, but they only check the content, not the headers and especially not text and html parts of multipart/alternative mails...

So I am looking for something like the W3C validator - just for emails...

Regards
    Fl÷zen

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is not any automated tests that I know of. There's no defined 'standard' which determines if a message is marked as spam. Have a look at software such as SpamAssasin and see what factors determine if a message is marked as spam - the default tests are shown here http://spamassassin.apache.org/tests_3_2_x.html. Most spam filters can be 'trained' by the emails you receive so every filter will be unique and the strictness of the filter can vary too.

My advice is to not use too much spammy/marketing speak, have a from address like support@yourdomain.com and if possible don't send mail from a shared hosting account. Generally, if your emails are not spam and have the correct headers etc. then they won't get marked as spam.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thanks.

SpamAssassin is what I use by my own, so I already have optimized the mails for it.
    We are having our own server, so all these factors are already reduced.

The SPAM thing is probably the smaller problem, but for example, we are having problems with people using Outlook2000 and Eudora. They often can't read our mails. Thus some email verification would be great to find the errors...