SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to show external news content in my site?

I'm building an event website and various media supporters have said I can use their news content/headlines on my front page to link to their sites. The problem is, I don't know where to start with this!

I've been building basic sites using HTML and CSS for about a year and I am just starting Javascript with the help of the book 'Simply Javascript'. So can anybody please tell me how I could do this? What it's called? What language I should even be using?! Some of the feeds are rss, some of it will be lifted straight from the page.

Please can somebody point me in the right direction? Can it be done with Javascript? (I'm only on chapter 3 of the book and the website has to be done by the end of the month.)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS Feeds are the way to go.

Google "rss news feeds" and see what you get.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=rss+news+feeds

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use JavaScript for this - instead, I'd display the RSS feeds using a server-side programming language (you'll need to have it installed on the server, of course) such as PHP. If you're going to go down this route, you may want to look into using a script such as this one: http://www.minimalmarkup.com/temp/rss/

(Note/Disclosure: a friend of mine wrote this and is being hosted on a domain I own on his server. It's fairly old, and as such none of the CSS used there should be applied to your own code - only the HTML and PHP code is needed. The links and IDs are samples and should be replaced with the links you intend to syndicate; the IDs should reference those new links so you know what they are.)