SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uploading a MySQL database

I've written a website in PHP and MySQL for a project at university and need to show it to my tutor on Friday. The only way I can do this is to actually put it on the internet. I've got free hosting at spaceports.com but I don't know how to upload my database.
    The site just says create a dump and write a script to import it.
    How do I create a dump and what is the script that imports it?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

James.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an article explaining db dumping : http://webmasterbase.com/article/678

I assume you are running localhost, in which case if you are using phpmyadmin, then you can do it from within that and 'download' the *.sql file. (select the db and eye down to the dump schema)

Then, you can upload your sql file to your spaceports account, again using phpmyadmin, (I sincerely doubt they will allow you direct access).

Once this is done you will need a script to import data from the sql file into your database at spaceports (I think they already have created/named it). For this script I would suggest you search the spaceports help forums, cos it'll depend on how spaceports is set up.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use MySQL-front to manage my MySQL databases. Its a free download, and easy to use.

http://www.anse.de/mysqlfront/

Hope this helps