SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a creative writing course instead, at least you know the skill of writing quality content is something that is useful not just in web design, but in many other professions as well, and at its not something that changes very much either.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

For designing learn both java and html script.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Do you need to take classes on web design?

You might. It depends entirely on how you learn. My business partner is a fantastic designer who cannot learn from a book to save her life, but can't sit in classrooms because they are much too slow for her. She always benefits from one on one training where she sets the pace.

I on the other hand have learned almost exclusively from books for the last 14 years, but enjoy the few chances I get to take a class. Sometimes affirmation of skills is good, sometimes book learning has you missing the forest for the trees, and sometimes true understanding of a topic involves hearing a different perspective and having the ability to ask questions.

That being said; a class is only as good as the skill set of the person doing the teaching and the effort of the student.

I would say... prioritize the skills you want to learn, take a look at the syllabus for the class you are thinking about taking, and talk to the person who will be teaching it. If they can't teach what you need to learn, move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I feel is doing courses are important but hands on experience in all these design softwares are more than necessary. It happens sometime we get just the course knowledge while doing certain diplomas, degrees, but gaining practical knowledge is far more important than anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren884 View Post
    Just buy SitePoint's book and you'll be fine.

Yeah i really do agree with you.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will suggest you to buy one good book and read it very careful and practice and practice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Brother used to work as an instructor for Computer Power (which became Interim Technology then Spherion and then Computer Power again before going bust) and he always said that a course, whether it's through them or Uni or TAFE or whatever was only ever a "pre-apprenticeship". He has always said that your real learning starts on the job, but to get that job you sometimes need to have done your "pre-apprenticeship".

The point is, he placed the course below the level of an apprenticeship in terms of what you learn. It was only ever a means to an end.
    Linux Clustering: All nodes lead to /home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Courses are useful but all depends on you that how much you practice your skills weather you decide to do some course or to learn from any tutorial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the course. I am sure there are some great courses, but there are also tons of scams. I would avoid any internet based courses, most of these are scams, or probably s*** anyway.
    Best way is to teach yourself by reading online tutorials, and not just read 1 book, read a dozen books, then read more and more and more. Browse forums, plan your own course.

Many people find it hard to teach themsleves, but if you can't do that, then you probably wouldn't be an amazing designer anyway.

The power of google and search engines is far better than any course in my opinion.

Of course unless you actually went to a real university and got a degree, but then thats only worth it if you need the qualification to work for a company. Courses are only good for getting qualifications to work for other people, for freelance work, teach yourself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Courses in web design is very useful, basically we should know the basics or fundamental in web design, so web design courses is great.
    Money making Stock Options Trading for every one

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree to spikegomez. To learn the basic fundamentals is really very important. I don't think this can be considered as the waste. Apart from learning from institutes you can learn more with the experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to learn what you need.Definitely yes!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone learns differently. I got a lot out of online tutorials, reading books, and completing exercises in books. Trial and error. Also, going to seminars and conferences can be useful. The courses in school were more on principles of design, and the technical details we learned are now outdated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did one of these courses last year. My opinion: Complete waste of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on where you take it and what subject. For IT certification such ITIL, CISSP, etc. a one to two week course is absolutely a time saver as they will be able to point you in the direction of areas you need to concentrate.
    For programming related courses, I do not think a short course you will take at the local public development center is going to do much. You need a lengthier more hands on approach in which a short course can still provide benefit yet it would take a lot of your personal time to advance your knowledge.