SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Static Chinese website - considerations?

Can anyone give me an idea of the likely considerations for building a Chinese version of a static HTML website?

There will be no CMS so the site itself should be quite straightforward.

File format of content from client
    The client will be providing the translation. Should I request that they save it in a certain file format and/or text encoding? E.g. can it be sent to me as a .doc Word file, or as an email message? Or something else? If so, do I need to tell them to save or send it in a certain way?

My code editor
    Can this text from the client then simply be copied/pasted into a regular HTML code app like Dreamweaver, Textmate, BBEdit, etc?

Character encoding of web pages
    I presume I'll need to use UTF-8 encoding as there will likely be some English chracters on the same page as the Chinese version. So am I right in thinking I would just need to add to the <head> tag the following: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> I was also going to add AddDefaultCharset utf-8 to the .htaccess file. Is there anything else, or should this do it?

Fonts
    Is there a Chinese equivalent of arial,verdana,sans-serif; that I can use for the font-family style?

Forms
    Assuming I can get Chinese text into the page, then I can obviously do the form's labels - but how do I ensure that people can type Chinese text into the input fields? And when this is sent to an email address of someone who understands Chinese, how do I know whether it will display correctly for them? (I normally use this as the secure PHP form mailer)

If anyone can shed any light on any of the above (or point out any other considerations) I'd appreciate it, many thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just want to remind you to choose the following tags:
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="zh-CN" lang="zh-CN">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=gb2312" />
    </head>
    it's most commonly used encodings on our Chinese websites. it can also help you to save space.
    This most popular font-family is setted as this: font-family: "宋体"
    Hope it help!
    If not, just let me know!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks whoever. I'm pretty sure I'll need to use UTF-8, but that's useful to know about the font.

If anyone else can chip in with any tips on the other bits, like how best to get Chinese text content from client into web page - I'd appreciate it.

Or anything else for that matter.

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, use UTF-8. You should be able to copy and paste the content into your editor, just make sure your editor saves the file with a UTF-8 encoding too. It should be in the preferences somewhere.

Forms shouldn't be too much of a problem although PHP does have some problems with UTF-8 which are well documented but there are ways around it. Judging by the fact that that form mailer has language files for Vietnamese, Russian etc. it should handle Chinese well.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that's good to know.