SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was used to do it using the concrete class since its a "bean". Thanks for your advice.
    Right now im implementing inheritance using interface (for multiple subclass support) and im thinking about using the discriminator like hibernate. it already supports one table per class and single table for entire object (no discriminator yet). Next is the basic validation using annotations like Size, NotNull etc...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee Bee View Post
    So I suppose the question still stands - does anyone know of an ORM tool like Hibernate/NHibernate which doesn't require the domain model and DAL to be coupled together like both Propel and Doctrine do?

I suppose leading on from this is that if there is indeed not one, why not?
    Thanks
    Can someone educate me as to the pros/cons of the domain model and DAL being tightly/loosely coupled?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchic View Post
    Can someone educate me as to the pros/cons of the domain model and DAL being tightly/loosely coupled?
    In a nutshell, having a domain layer means your code is 1. testable and 2. reusable. If your domain objects don't rely on the application layer or persistence layer, then they should work equally well in a test framework as in a web application. They should also be simple to reuse in other applications, since they have minimal dependencies and only have single responsibilities.

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myc View Post
    It may not be what you are looking for, but it's for sure an interesting and different approach: http://www.ezpdo.net/blog/?p=840
    Thanks for posting this. Interesting indeed. And it would complement a project I'm working on perfectly. It's refreshing to see this kind of out-of-the-box thinking on occasion.