SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation How to 'copy' data being entered in one form into another form?

Hi Folks,

We would like information on whether you think the following is possible, please.

We need to create a 'tool' that can automatically 'copy' information from a data entry web form into another that 'sits' 'over' the original browser page (like a 'pop-up' would work, I guess). i.e. Someone types data into their form but wants it to also appear in the other independent form as well.

Some restraints:
    1. The original data entry form's fields need to be matched to those of the 'recipient' form by the non-IT office admin-type user. e.g. Using a point 'n' click function from one data entry field to the recipient form.

2. The process in Step 1. (above) needs to enable these 'matchings' to be saved for that particular user (unless they wish to change them at some time in the future).

Does this sound 'doable' please?

Rgds,
    mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are they going to be displayed in the same page? Or do you mean you want to store some information and show another form for another department?

I am not sure what you are trying to do.

To copy text from one form in the same page to another one you can use javascript.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Thankyou very much for your response, Phidev.

We have clients using web forms provided by various suppliers (i.e. they are different) that capture similar data for another application.

We have a second web application (powered on our server) that they want to use and to use it they need to be able to copy the data from their original form into our forms.

It would be easier for everyone involved if the users could start-up our application (with a first step that displays our form), and have this running while they are typing-in their original data to their original application.

We are hoping that it is possible for each user's data to be;
    1. copied into our form at the same time as they are typing their original data
    and/or
    2. have their original data copied into our web as soon as possible after typing-in their original data.
    Also
    3. Because our web form and the various 'original' web forms differ slightly, we would like the users to be able to determine which fields their original data are matched to in our form. i.e. They would need to be able to use a point n click function possibly, to set-up the relationships between the fields before beginning the process. These relationships would then be saved until they might wish to change them in the future.

Does that sound a bit clearer? I hope so as this is a real challenge for us!

Hope to hear from you or someone you might know again, soon.

Thanx again