SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Js - adding a new row to gallery?

I inherited this site from a previous designer, who made a photo gallery type thing. I am having problems updating it - when I try to add a new row, it appears outside the main body div and don't show up on the page when I publish it - however when I look at it in design view in DW it shows the outline of the divs in their right spot, just below the divs line. This may just be a html question but I'm not sure as I've had little experience with Javascript.

I don't know how else to show this but to give the link to the html file because I really don't know where the problem is. There have been a few designers doing updates before me, some did a good job and some didn't so I'm not sure what code I should be following. Is there someone who could look at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm sure it's simple..but I just really can't see what it is. i thought just adding it to the bottom, changing the absolute positioning #s would be enough but it apparently wasnt.

http://pricedrighthandyman.com/Site/Curb%20Appeal.html
    The row with the captions "Danette's Bathroom" should be showing - but they aren't.

Sorry if this post is simple and dumb.. I just really could use some help from a kind web designer

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This isn't a javascript problem. Either way, with javascript on or off, the row of images doesn't show. But if you turn off positioning, they're there.
    I believe it's a nested div problem:
    Line 855, Column 9: end tag for element "div" which is not open.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    This isn't a javascript problem. Either way, with javascript on or off, the row of images doesn't show. But if you turn off positioning, they're there.
    I believe it's a nested div problem:
    Line 855, Column 9: end tag for element "div" which is not open.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0
    thank you - i didnt even try turning off javascript to see if that's the problem.
    i appreciate your reply!

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The mark-up should be easy to fix, albeit tediously if you're not using an IDE that checks for well-formedness. If you go through the code line-by-line, indenting/tabbing for each child node. eg.
    Code HTML4Strict:
    <body>
    	<div> whatever </div>
    	<div>
    		<a ....> link </a>
    	</div>
    	<div> whatever </div>
    	<div>
    		<div>
    			<div> whatever </div>
    		</div>
    	</div>
    </body>
    it makes it easier to match up opening and closing tags. But with over 850 lines of code, I hope you either have extreme patience, lot's of coffee, or an IDE to use.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    The mark-up should be easy to fix, albeit tediously if you're not using an IDE that checks for well-formedness.
    ......it makes it easier to match up opening and closing tags. But with over 850 lines of code, I hope you either have extreme patience, lot's of coffee, or an IDE to use.
    I'm using Dreamweaver.. is there a way to check that through dreamweaver??

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't have DW, but according to an O'Reilly xml.com article about MX 2004 http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/06/09/dreamweaver.html
    The Validation tab of the Results panel allows a check for both well-formed XML and valid XML.
    I imagine any newer version would still have it too, most likely in the sameplace.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver also has menu options that tidy up the presentation of the html.
    There are even some online versions, such as http://valet.htmlhelp.com/tidy/
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript