User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Given Name

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree. I don't think we should change our names, but that we have a right to if we so wish.

I was only ever moderately teased about my surname, but not my first name But it is a paternal heritage, and one which I hold close to my own identity - so I would never change it for an arbitary reason.
    Last edited by akritic; Oct 24, 2008 at 01:53. Reason: spl

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Darn it Rafael, almost. Except the two s's are real s's, not sh's. And the yau part should probably be yaw, depends on how you pronounce that in English. Quite frankly it's hard to explain in words.
    Ha! Not so hard after all!

Yes, people should be able to change their names. Unfortunately, some people choose rather idiotic things. But then again, some people call their children pretty funny names, e.g. Frank Zappa.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    Ha! Not so hard after all!
    Easier written then said!

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was pretty bad with name giving in the time of the Hippies. Children were called all sorts of "romantic" things like: Star - Sunshine - Flower - Rainbow - Love - etc.

I always imagine these children as old people, now how would you like to be named Rainbow as an old fragile person?
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    I always imagine these children as old people, now how would you like to be named Rainbow as an old fragile person?
    some parents should have been ashamed of themselves torturing their poor kids with all kind of silly names

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yea, the good old Basques. Most people know about the flat hats they wear, the cliché artist caps.
    lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't think anyone in the world would mistake pronouncing my name: Usamah. The "h" is unpronounced.

What people do more often is mistaking the spelling: Usama, Osamah, Osama, Ussamah, Ossama, etc etc. However, since it's not an original English or Western name, it's pretty much perfect for anyone to write the way he or she likes, although the last few forms with double s "ss" really annoy me more than the others.

What I find funny though, is when poeple here or on other forums purposely write my nickname "simsim" as "Simsim" or more often as "SimSim"! I don't know what is the motive behind this especially the latter form "SimSim" but it always makes smile when I see it.

I like my first name, simple but sounds like a name of an antagonist woman in a film- Clarisse
    Like Clarice Starling? Definitely not an antagonist, unless compared to the hardcore character of Dr. Hannibal Lecter.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Guys Named Todd -- George Carlin

CAUTION: strong language

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero0x
    Thank you How do you actually read it ?
    I was more inclined to read it as "Vohito"... but I guess I'm more exposed to Spanish/Latin American pronunciations.

"Voyto" is cool, though. Has a nice ring to it. It'd be a good name for a robot.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    some parents should have been ashamed of themselves torturing their poor kids with all kind of silly names
    A 9 year old girl over here won a court case this year to have her name changed from "Talulah Does The Hula From Hawaii".

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK
    A 9 year old girl over here won a court case this year to have her name changed from "Talulah Does The Hula From Hawaii".
    I don't know, HAWK.

I think if people are willing to permanently tattoo moronic things onto themselves like this, this, or that... it's not much of a wonder that they'd see it fit to label their child for life with these utterly... retarded... names.

I remember hearing about the "Hula on Hawaii" story awhile back, and in the paper they also listed others. Someone named their child, "Bursted Condom". And there was others as... *argh*... as that too.

I wish I could whack some of these people with a brick!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you experienced difficulties with your names? Do you like your name? Have you thought about changing it?
    Haven't really experienced difficulties. However I do a lot of telephone work these days and people often call me Ryan, Brian, John, Brad, and Mike when I answer the phone. One time they kept calling me Carlos. This happens even though I clearly state my name is Wayne.

My name is okay. Wouldn't really consider changing it. First I don't have a problem with it and second it would be an insult to my parents. Especially my father, which is who I was named after.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    I don't know, HAWK.
    ...I wish I could whack some of these people with a brick!
    I'm hearin' ya.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    First I don't have a problem with it and second it would be an insult to my parents.
    Interesting point...

I was born Sarah Ann Hawk. I always hated the Ann bit. I wasn't named for anyone, my parents just made it up. When I got married, I didn't want to lose my family name, it is part of who I am, but I also like the idea of taking my husband's name, to create a new family identity for our children.

I decided to change my middle name by deed poll from Ann to Hawk. I wasn't sure how my parents would feel about it. Turns out (thank goodness) that they were right on board with the idea and weren't in the slightest bit insulted. (I accept that not everyone's parents would feel that way.)

We are giving both our children the middle name Hawk, as is my sister for her children.

I don't expect my children to carry on the tradition though. It's not intended to become a family name.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I'm German, too, my name doesn't sound anything like it.

Germans ironically spell and pronounce my name correctly. Everyone else does it wrongly. My name is Maleika (female name derived from swahili) but most people pronounce it as Malika, Marieke, Malieka and all sorts of variations when it should be Mah-lye-kuh.

I'm okay with my name, by and large. Never thought of chaning it. If it's too complicated for people, I'll tell them to call me Esther, which is my middle name.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I was born Sarah Ann Hawk. I always hated the Ann bit. I wasn't named for anyone, my parents just made it up. When I got married, I didn't want to lose my family name, it is part of who I am, but I also like the idea of taking my husband's name, to create a new family identity for our children.

I decided to change my middle name by deed poll from Ann to Hawk. I wasn't sure how my parents would feel about it. Turns out (thank goodness) that they were right on board with the idea and weren't in the slightest bit insulted. (I accept that not everyone's parents would feel that way.)
    I don't think my parents would have a problem with something like this either. Its the given name that I think they would have a problem with. However my parents didn't name me something weird like a some parents from the 60s did.

My brother went to school with a friend with the last name of Bunn. The friend always swore he was going to name his daughters Honey and Cherri. I don't know if he went through with it but I do hope his wife was smart enough to slap some sense into the boy.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand you... We have the same situation in our name. My real name is Dirk Benedict. When I was in elementary and high school, my name is always misspelled! such as Dick. benedick, Dirt. Damn! And because my name is hard to pronounce, my teacher commonly called me as Dick, Dereck. So I decided to use my second name which is Benedict until i graduated in High school.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or Janice.
    Or Janet.
    I get Janice a lot, mostly friends trying to **** me off because they know I don't like it

Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    I always thought Jan is short for January
    I like January, maybe I should change it?

Interesting point...

We are giving both our children the middle name Hawk, as is my sister for her children.

I don't expect my children to carry on the tradition though. It's not intended to become a family name.
    I think that's a good idea, especially as Hawk is a cool name to have.

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment of using the maiden name as the children's middle names, I have a couple of friends that have done it. Its a bit more meaningful that pulling a name out of the hat for the sake of having a middle name. Naming children is not as easy as it sounds!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simsim View Post
    Well, I don't think anyone in the world would mistake pronouncing my name: Usamah. The "h" is unpronounced.
    I always liked Usamah. It has the sound of a man in a fairytale. Usamah the prince …

Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    Guys Named Todd -- George Carlin
    Funny

Wow, some parents. They must have eaten some funny mushrooms

I wish I could whack some of these people with a brick!
    Two bricks would be better

Haven't really experienced difficulties. However I do a lot of telephone work these days and people often call me Ryan, Brian, John, Brad, and Mike when I answer the phone. One time they kept calling me Carlos. This happens even though I clearly state my name is Wayne.
    Wayne is a good manly name

I like it. Good strong name. To the point.

Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    My name is Maleika
    That is what my name Ulrike gets butchered to sometimes here in the US. I like your name Maleika

My brother went to school with a friend with the last name of Bunn. The friend always swore he was going to name his daughters Honey and Cherri.
    Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Dirky47 View Post
    So I decided to use my second name which is Benedict until i graduated in High school.
    That is a good solution for you
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirky47 View Post
    I understand you... We have the same situation in our name. My real name is Dirk Benedict. When I was in elementary and high school, my name is always misspelled! such as Dick. benedick, Dirt. Damn! And because my name is hard to pronounce, my teacher commonly called me as Dick, Dereck. So I decided to use my second name which is Benedict until i graduated in High school.
    Are you named after: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0070767/

Could have just told people to call you Starbuck... Though only people who have watched the original Battlestar Galactica would understand.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot of people consider changing their name when they hit their pre-teens and really start developing their independence, I know I did. I think I wanted to be called Veronica or Stephanie or something distinctly female. That was a short lived phase for me though.

Having a unisex name posed some challenges during school and I still get mail addressed to 'Mr.' once in a while but it isn't a big deal. I like the simplicity of my name now, especially since I have a moderately challenging last name; it's a good balance.

I think what I like best about my name though is that both my first and middle names are shortened versions of the names of my Godmother and maternal grandmother. It is a constant reminder of the thought and love that my parents put into making that choice; wouldn't change that for the world.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, the unisex names. I find that fascinating and confusing to no end. Such thing is impossible here, you see, due to complexity of our language and I never in my life encountered with this phenomena, until I learned about other cultures. That still leads to awkward situations now and then.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLee
    I still get mail addressed to 'Mr.' once in a while but it isn't a big deal.
    Is that why you explicitly called yourself... "MissLee" ?

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that why you explicitly called yourself... "MissLee" ?
    Nope.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my name is not well known in the US, I also very often get mail addressed as MR.

I like your name Lee.
    Ulrike