SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Namespaces changing constantly.

Is it common to have a vendor change the namespace to their WSDL frequently? We built a software conforming to the web service specification provided by the vendor and validated it in development. When we went to implement the software in production, nothing worked. The vendor had changed the namespace of their web service when they implemented a production environment as well. Thus the failure.

Now the blame game begins. They claim that our software should have been configurable (which I partially agree). But I would like to think that when a vendor provides us with a namespace, that they remain pretty much static. And if not, they should notify us of any significant changes.

So what is the right approach? Is hard-coding the namespace generally acceptable 90% of the time?

Thanks for your help. I am not a developer. Forgive me if I am misrepresented things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a strong believer in not hard coding anything that has the possibility of changing. If a name space can change, then there will come a day when it will change, so containing it in a variable would have been the better way to go.

Just one thought though, by name space do you mean domain name? If so, are you sure that they are not trying to get this variability into the software in order to use on other web sites? If so, will you be compensated? Just a thought; not a nice one I admit.
    Joyce Miletic RHCT + Systems Engineer
    Navisite Dedicated Hosting
    http://dedicatedhosting.navisite.com
    "24/7/365" Myth or Reality?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your response.

The vendor was setting up their web services such that each customer of their service would receive a different namespace (and domain name to access it). So when they moved the service installation from the development server to their production server, both the namespace and the domain were changed (without notifying us). In addition, the web service names were also changed. (All of this done without notifying us).

Like I said before, I used to be a developer many years ago, but I still think this is a little bizarre to setup your web services like this. In addition, our software should also be configurable to support changes like this. The fault lies on both sides. The vendor has agreed revert the namespace, domain, and service names back to the ones used in development to facilitate going live without impact to the project schedule.

Innershell.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm presuming you mean XML namespaces associated with the WSDL schema here. I'd agree it is bizzare, especially since the namespace references are usually tool generated and oftentimes difficult to make configurable. Changing method names--also know as breaking the API--is pretty much inexcusable.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the XML namespace associated with the schema was changed, therefore was failing schema validation. That's what my developers tell me anyway.

I think they were cleaning up the method names too because they were unhappy about their choices. But doing so without notifying your customers is unacceptable.

The vendor has reset everything back to normal and we are pursuing an alternate vendor to provide this service. Let that be a lesson! We may have invested $100k in your business, but we are not afraid to pull the plug if we have lost confidence in you.