SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When design comes I always prefers effective content in the website after that I go for navigation bars and sitemaps, I think these are the best methods to follow at the time of website designing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always look for a good content, but a good design is a plus. What am I gonna do with a site with a very nice design but lacks in quality content?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look for easy navigation, good content and obviously something that looks nice but this way down on the list.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi everybody ! when anyone visit several website he looks for relevent information means content !

SitePoint Enthusiast Kernelpower_Ltd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it has to be clean and easy to use as well as safe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    navigation, accessability, clean design.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look for content, but I don't look too hard (easy navigation is key)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First is the Title and I read a few paragraph. When I find it interesting i continued but when there is pop up I leave immediately.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Load Speed
    If the page takes too long to load, im gone.

Usability
    The biggy for me is usability, I think it is fundamental, and if its not easy to find what you want, it gives a really poor impression on the site because it obviously hasnt been thought out very well.

Sensible Ad's or No Ad's

If the site is covered in ads everywhere, or I get a pop up ad, its good bye.

No design errors

Its not a good reflection if half of the content is cut off because of poor layout.

Good Content
    if all the above are ok, and the content is good, then im happy.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawks View Post
    Agh, that is horribly superficial! Rating people purely on their looks, I think that is terrible. How Shallow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    design makes you return back to the site, but content is more important then design.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm googling for an answer, I generally don't care about the design if the page has my answer. If I'm going on a site I want to regularly visit or a news site or something to that effect, design is important in me coming back multiple times. Yes it must have good content, but if its wrapped around a really ugly layout that hurts the eyes I'll go elsewhere.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far video being offered now on sites, usually will avoid all wmv and other file formats and RealPlayer in hopes of finding that video elsewhere delivered through a flash player

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surely it is design & other links !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to know what works and what doesn't, this is the wrong forum for this question. A better forum would be a focus group of pedestrian users who haven't the slightest idea of what "good" web design is, but instead just want to read about a topic of interes, or find something they're looking for.

Great graphics appeal to graphic artists, great navigation appeals to human factors-types, and a solid back end and a supportive infrastructure appeals to software engineers. None of these matter per se to the person either using the site or paying for it. What matters to each of them is that he or she can find what they want (as a visitor) and that the site produces revenue or high page views (as a business owner). I guess this all boils down to easily-accessible and relevant content.

I ran a focus group of customers a few years ago and learned that they liked big roll-over buttons for navigation, hated Flash interfaces, and if they couldn't find what they wanted within three or at most four clicks, they were gone forever.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content takes my eyes, but only content makes me stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most users make up their minds within the first couple of seconds seeing a site... everything needs to fit together perfectly in the customers mind straight away (and they all have different goals and desires so you will have some trade offs.... Credibility and ease of browsing come up as key first impressions. Every part of the website design and marketing fit in to this overall perception.
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i look for many things i like a website that is easy to understand and follow but is appealing to the eye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfranklin View Post
    SEO is more like a mind set that every website owner who cares for his website and the incoming visitors must develop.
    Indeed. On Page SEO is not a problem if you are used to write a clean, semantic XHTML. Your websites will be optimized out-of-box.

Of course, the more interesting part of SEO is Off Page - that's where it gets more complicated and difficult

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
    Hi,
    So, when you visit different websites on your specific topic, what do you look for besides the relevant contents?

To start, I usually look for a good navigation system, and slick design.
    Ofcourse "Content is King", also usability and creativity also matters.
    Lightning Fast - Extreme ethical Clothing that transforms

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design. Ofcourse, you can not read content if you dont have a design. IE: Black text on black background.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworking View Post
    Design. Ofcourse, you can not read content if you dont have a design.
    If you don't specify any design, the content will be rendered according to the user agent style sheet, which makes it quite possible to read the content. It may not have good usability in a wide window, but it's perfectly accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworking View Post
    IE: Black text on black background.
    That would be design, since you'd have to convince the browser to render it that way. All modern browsers display black text on white background by default. Old Netscape browsers used black text on a grey background. Some Lynx versions present white text on black background. But no browser has black-on-black by default, for obvious reasons.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be content first. Ultimately if a site you visit has dodgy navigation and/or design but the content is gold then you'll keep going back until you find a better source.

Quality content + simple navigation + clean design = Much visited site.

Only time that I think design supersedes content is when it's highlighting your skills/services.
    vinyl digging - on a secondhand vinyl journey

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my personal use? Apart from content, I just need to be able to navigate the site.

If the content is good, I will fight with the site to get to the good stuff. I don't hold sites to the same standards I design by really - if I can get the content, I guess they just give me business by having a crappy layout since then I have fodder for people to see why they should hire me to do better. Content is king, and no amount of design savvy makes up for a worthwhile experience. Doesn't matter how pretty and usable the site is if it's a waste to read.
    HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Ajax, Python, PHP, MySQL, C#, Java

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melter View Post
    Only time that I think design supersedes content is when it's highlighting your skills/services.
    Even then, I think design demands some level of usability and communication. Art for art's sake has little use on the web. A portfolio has to demonstrate application of creativity, and by being mystery meat it only appeals to other artists and illustrators.

One thing I like to keep in mind is that really good design may go largely unnoticed. Sure, we're trained to see typography and colour contrast and recognize how they look, but for the average user, the design should just communicate the message. The message has to be first and foremost, and while WE need to think out a design that supports it, we also need to recognize that design should rarely draw attention to itself. It should get out of the way so people can do what they came to do.

I know I get too caught up in prettifying things because *I* notice the beautiful font I used and the amazing graphics, but if they're confusing or unusable by my users, they're a waste of time. Graphics and web design have to communicate a message.
    HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Ajax, Python, PHP, MySQL, C#, Java