SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know where to start...

This is going to be my first attempt at creating a large website. My friend and I are trying to build a social networking website, but with a twist that as far as I know does not exist.

We know where we want to start, but we just don't know how to start. Neither of us have any programming experience.

What I want to know is, how do we start? What is the process of starting a website? What programs will we need? Which language is best to use?

Other people I talked to said we would not be able to do it ourselves and should hire a designer. We will entertain that idea, but right now I want to know how to do it too. I am a quick learner so if I really get into it, I bet I could figure it out.

If that wasn't clear, please let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

We want to start a social networking website and want to know how to begin.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    You want to build a social networking website from scratch but you have never programmed before and don't know where to start?

I think you need to start over in Looking to Hire.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand it's going to be a long road and we will entertain the designer idea, but I'm just trying to get an idea of where to start. What do we need?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many threads on this site giving beginners direction to begin learning HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, what have you. If you need a single place to start, lay out $35 for Ian's book.

You've bitten off a hell of a large task. Hawk has the right idea--you provide the ideas, and a (reliable) hired gun does the spade work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already been learning it for a few months and I still don't really know what the hell I'm doing haha. So I tell you man study all you can on programming and marketing before you get into it. Does your friend know more?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbo Mon View Post
    I've already been learning it for a few months and I still don't really know what the hell I'm doing haha. So I tell you man study all you can on programming and marketing before you get into it. Does your friend know more?
    I'm not sure I'm ready to put in a full out effort on something. I kind of have some personal issues about the whole idea.

He probably knows less than I do.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I have to be honest here... if you don't know anything about the subject and you don't feel ready to put in an effort (because it will be a huge effort) then I don't think I'd be wasting my time on it if I was you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I have to be honest here... if you don't know anything about the subject and you don't feel ready to put in an effort (because it will be a huge effort) then I don't think I'd be wasting my time on it if I was you.
    You're right and I probably won't. The idea sounds great, but the person behind the idea....well I'm not going to get into it.

Thanks for the help though, to everyone who responded.