SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Set up PHP/MySQL for Mac OSX?

Hi

I personally hate Mac, but my friend ask me to help her set up the PHP/MySQL for Mac (she is PC hater so) I look for these information thur internet and Kevin's book, no luck =\

Can you give me the instruction or link for the instruction to set up the PHP/MySQL for MacOX?

thanks
    "The perfect slave is the one who believes he is free."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add to that, it is Mac OX 10.1.1 Not Mac server.

thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bump

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP comes with Mac OS X, I believe. Check out this guide for PHP configuration: http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/php.html

And then this guide for MySQL: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...tml?tw=backend

p.s. Bumps are looked down upon here, especially after just 30 minutes of waiting.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    p.s. Bumps are looked down upon here, especially after just 30 minutes of waiting.

I understand and it is not me who did it. My friend who did post/bump in few minutes, she cannot wait to get that instruction to get start. I apologized and I show this post to my friend and it will keep her in the line And it is her first time to post any BB

thanks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc Liyanage's Mac OS X Packages
    http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html
    I found the compile instructions at this site very helpful... I think this is where I figured out how to get my Mac set up. Oooh, there's a link to it at the top of the Webmonkey article.

Also, this is a pretty interesting site:
    Stepwise
    http://www.stepwise.com/

(What's a bump?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no luck

i wasted 3 days at work trying to setup MySQL/PHP on OS X. Supposedly PHP doesn't work with OS X so you have to upgrade. 10.4 or 10.1.4 came out last week. I think i'm having a problem with the MySQL master password. I finally gave up on it.
    ~Cabbage
    http://www.jimmieschickenshack.net
    want to trade live recordings? JCS, Smashing Pumpkins, Local H, Toadies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My setup of MySQL(on 10.1.0) took about an hour. I didn't really know what I was doing but the artical I read was very clear and the whole thing was done quickly.

I could try to find that exact article if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >>Marc Liyanage's
    i read all this

I did get MySQL up and running. Just at one part in the instructions you have to change the administrator password and I don't know what it is to change it. So i can't create any user or log in to the server but it is up and running.
    ~Cabbage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing MySQL/PHP on Mac OS X 10.1.4

Well, you're in luck!

My Titanium G4 laptop had just crashed, and I dreaded having to jump through all the hoops I did last year installing Apache/PHP/MySQL from source with all kinds of kinks and so on, which at the time was the only option....not anymore.

There are in fact some wonderful tools that make it easy as a breeze to get our holy trinity up and running in no time at all.

eSuite4X will neatly install PHP and MySQL on your box with no fuss, a beautiful graphical interface and the option of installing their own MySQL manager GUI, which if you don't is essentially all free-as-in-beer.

Here's the developer's URL

Granted you don't get the super-latest PHP, and prolly some other uber-geek features that can only come with compiling everything from source. But it beats the crap out of spending 3 days staring at my box wondering what I should do to make the damn thing work, especially if this is just for a test environment such as on a laptop!

Once you've installed this you can also help you friend with another wonderful piece of Macintosh GUI software which greatly facilitates building simple PHP-driven web interface front-ends for your database, I have seen it mentioned here in other threads, it is called Jane Builder, and although many will frown on anything that gives you a cute GUI when you should be coding everything with BBEdit or Vi, it's a quick-and-dirty way to get your feet wet and get some work done while learning more of the intricacies of the 'while' loop and the pros and cons of Object-oriented PHP classes....

This requires a minimum of knowledge to install and configure and your friend will be able to code in a jiffy!!
    stay groovy !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Cabbage
    I did get MySQL up and running. Just at one part in the instructions you have to change the administrator password and I don't know what it is to change it. So i can't create any user or log in to the server but it is up and running.
    I could have sworn there is no mySQL root password until you change it.

Here's another link that is sort of useful.
    http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php?pid=64&aid=525

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Installing MySQL/PHP on Mac OS X 10.1.4

Originally posted by frankie54
    Well, you're in luck!

My Titanium G4 laptop had just crashed, and I dreaded having to jump through all the hoops I did last year installing Apache/PHP/MySQL from source with all kinds of kinks and so on, which at the time was the only option....not anymore.

There are in fact some wonderful tools that make it easy as a breeze to get our holy trinity up and running in no time at all.

eSuite4X will neatly install PHP and MySQL on your box with no fuss, a beautiful graphical interface and the option of installing their own MySQL manager GUI, which if you don't is essentially all free-as-in-beer.

Here's the developer's URL

Granted you don't get the super-latest PHP, and prolly some other uber-geek features that can only come with compiling everything from source. But it beats the crap out of spending 3 days staring at my box wondering what I should do to make the damn thing work, especially if this is just for a test environment such as on a laptop!

Once you've installed this you can also help you friend with another wonderful piece of Macintosh GUI software which greatly facilitates building simple PHP-driven web interface front-ends for your database, I have seen it mentioned here in other threads, it is called Jane Builder, and although many will frown on anything that gives you a cute GUI when you should be coding everything with BBEdit or Vi, it's a quick-and-dirty way to get your feet wet and get some work done while learning more of the intricacies of the 'while' loop and the pros and cons of Object-oriented PHP classes....

This requires a minimum of knowledge to install and configure and your friend will be able to code in a jiffy!!

Thanks!! it look so simple, I will do it this evening with my friend to see how it work. Thanks again!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I have 4 G4's just sitting at work begging to be played with I tried downloading that package and it worked. Took like 20 minutes. So I got that working followed by Photoshop 7 and phpMyAdmin.

Now I get to have some fun figuring out James...a mail server for Apache. Where's the package for this?? j/k
    http://jakarta.apache.org/james
    ~Cabbage

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great resources for mac os x users

O'Reilly Network Mac DevCenter There are a series of articles on Apache including using it with MySQL and PHP. It refers to Marc Liyanage's packages at . I installed with those packages and I had no difficulty at all. Remember that you need to have the root user enabled to move the package results to the proper directory. To enable Apache in OS X you must go to the Sharing preferences and turn on Internet Sharing. One click and that's is it!

Apple's pages also have a series of articles on internet development. The page on PHP is:

Mac OS X - PHP on Mac OS X

There is a plug in available for BBEdit to check your PHP code and SQL statements. All in all, I am very pleased with OS X as a PHP/MySQL/Apache development environment.

If you have any problems, please let me know and I'll see if I can help. One thing I have found is that the 4.2 build of PHP is behaving unpredictably and is missing several parts compared to previous builds. You may want to stick with 4.1.2 which is also available at Marc's site. That is what I would do after going through the grief of deleting and reinstalling this afternoon. Good luck!
    hatred bounces.
    -ee cummings