SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remove_filter ('the_content','wpautop');
    Problem being, it's only certain pages that shouldn't do it. And I've had sites where WP unformatted wouldn't work... could never figure out why.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rochow View Post
    Problem being, it's only certain pages that shouldn't do it. And I've had sites where WP unformatted wouldn't work... could never figure out why.
    Joomla because if has the following functions: user configuration, media, new article etc.
    fash

SitePoint Evangelist kooshin.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well great discussion guys. When I was creating this thread I didn't think it could get a lot of replies or even get featured.That is great.Also some nice suggestions and opinions in the thread. keep them coming guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla because if has the following functions: user configuration, media, new article etc.
    I had a problem where Joomla kept scrambling the URL's. Trying to add a paypal buy now button and it wouldn't work because the url was in Javascript

All the CMS's IMO are a pain at times because of the way they have all the 'features' and no off switch. (have to google and download a plugin or module to stop it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Wordpress to build all my sites (however for minisites I just use simple HTML templates). It's a great CMS, ideal for blogging but can be used for creating websites as well - you will just remove the dates and comments stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Wordpress because it is not to complicated to learn. But you have to do some configurating and tweaking to get it to look like a site rather than a blog. For "website" style, I prefer Joomla. Joomla also has SEF url and file caching built in.

I've tried Drupal, but of the three it seems to have the steepest learning curve.
    Last edited by artcoder; Oct 26, 2008 at 09:50.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Vote goes for Wordpress its best CMS i have seen, you have many plugins and free themes which you can use for your blog and can create attractive websites using them, it also have many plugins for SEO thus its most SE friendly as compare to other CMS.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed that WP might be a bit lacking in both support functions and modules compared to ex Joomla but SEO advantages with WP are big.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have creat a blog used wp :

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress is as great as a CMS platform as it is as a blogging one. I have been developing with WordPress ever since I was in the web design industry and I find it great.
    WPlancer.Com - PHP & WordPress Developer
    ProverbHunter - English Proverbs Explained

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artcoder View Post
    I like Wordpress because it is not to complicated to learn. But you have to do some configurating and tweaking to get it to look like a site rather than a blog. For "website" style, I prefer Joomla. Joomla also has SEF url and file caching built in.
    WordPress has search engine fiendly URLs too. They are easy to use and customize.

WordPress has many caching plugins too.

I use WordPress for normal sites (not blogs) and it works fine. It is all about design and not WordPress to have it used for normal sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newviewit View Post
    For a few page portfolio...give it a go in Wordpress. But if you plan on expanding the website in the future then look into alternatives. I prefer Modx CMS because of the customization options with designs. Joomla and Drupal also alright
    WordPress can handle a very big and wide site. You do not have to worry about how much content you post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    would you recommend WP as a CMS if you only have knowledge of HTML and CSS? eg no js or php skills ??
    Sure, that is how I began and it is enough to begin. Than I think you will have the desire to learn little php and js just to make nicer things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davexp View Post
    wordpress is good for small sites or blogs . better use drupal for serious sites .
    WordPress is great for serious sites too. Just google "Premium Themes" and you will see what WordPress can handle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rveram View Post
    I have a little project using WP as a CMS, I have a question, how do you manage to make the navigation menus in wordpress?
    You can manage static-page-based navigation menus or category-based navigation menus or both. That is great, isn't it?

You can use lists to style them normally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    Since menus exposed by Wordpress are simply unordered lists, you can use any menu technique available. Most use CSS menus but there are suckerfish and other javascript hybrids available. Using PHP in your template, you can place the menus wherever you want to.
    That is right and cool.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wp is great, more than bo-blog

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 12 year old content site I moved to WordPress without changing a thing. Can you tell? What about this ecommerce site... would you know it was WordPress if I removed the powered by text?

There's virtually nothing you can't do with WordPress, without editing any of the platform's core files, that you can do with a hand-built site. So if you already understand WordPress, there's no reason not to use it for any site you're going to build, blog or not, if it's going to save you time.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found Flutter, a newer wordpress plugin. It allows you to create custom content types that are automatically assigned to specific categories and can have their own custom fields. You can check it out here:
    http://freshout.us/goodies/fresh-pos...wordpress-cms/
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I prefer Liferay but for static content website, I'd use WordPress because it's super easy.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can probably adapt Wordpress to do all of the things that 95% of clients might want to do. I find one of the best, but most subtle, features of Wordpress to be custom fields. Clever usage of them leads to a lot of easy workarounds you never thought possible, like giving each static page its own background image. That's just a basic example, though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find Wordpress as CMS very easy to use and all my sites are made using it.
    exact the same here.

my problem is how to manage dozens of wordpress systems since every single site owns a wordpress system.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress has amazing SEO by default without tweaking. If you want more SEO, it’s easily done by installing a couple of plugins, such as the All in One SEO Pack,Using Wordpress as a CMS can be easily done. But I do not recommend those who want to have a cookie cutter solution. If you want to have something that works out of the box, then Wordpress as a CMS is not for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I coded my own CMS about four or five years ago. It was interesting and I learned a lot but it was just too time consuming in the end. That's when I really dove into WP after a little experimentation with a few different CMS systems. I was already familiar with Joomla due to a client that uses it. It works well for their site, but I am not a big fan of Joomla for most sites. Drupal was a no-go for me, I just didn't like it. I know many people swear by Drupal but it just didn't click with me. It was like pulling teeth (IMO) learning how to use it. When I first started playing around with WP everything made sense and came very easy. Even creating plugins, hacking code, etc just fit more with my line of thinking I guess.

I think that all the major CMS systems have their good points and bad points. Some are better for certain applications than others, but overall I am a big fan of WP as a CMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    Just found Flutter, a newer wordpress plugin. It allows you to create custom content types that are automatically assigned to specific categories and can have their own custom fields. You can check it out here:
    http://freshout.us/goodies/fresh-pos...wordpress-cms/
    Nice, but seems a bit complicated. However, good work!