SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emailing a Generated File

Hi, I need to create a report which is automatically emailed to everyone at end of day.

I'm creating a cron job to do this at midnight, and I have created the script to create the csv file.

I have 2 questions.

1) Is it possible to put formatting on the csv file (or make it a different mime type) so that when excel reads it, it can have colours and different styles?

2) To get it working I simply changed the header mime type and the disposition so it would download. Instead of echoing (to do this) I have now changed this to $file so all the contents of the file is in that variable.. instead of downloading the file I just want to use Swiftmailer to email this generated file off to the people i specify how would I go about attaching this variable/file to swiftmailer as it seems to want a file path which I dont have.

Thanks

Kevin

Web Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Not possible. CSV doesn't support any formatting.

PHP Code:
    $message->attach(new Swift_Message_Attachment(

$file"filename.csv""text/csv")); 

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. To do the formatting, can you not change the mime type to excel and output it differently?
    2. its that easy!? i knew that

Kev

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM2k View Post
    1. To do the formatting, can you not change the mime type to excel and output it differently?
    If you want to create a formatted Excel file, why not create it as a formatted Excel file rathe rthan a plain text CSV file.

Take a look at PHPExcel

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill take a look now, never knew of that!
    Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt,

Im a little confused with that PHPExcel class it looks great, but:

1) Does it only work with Excel 2007
    2) Im not sure where it attempts to save the file, I would just want to email it. Any idea how that would work?

Kev

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Does it only work with Excel 2007
    In addition to its own serialized format, PHPExcel reads Excel 2007 and Excel 5 (BIFF8) files, and CSV (or any separated value such as tab or pipe).
    It writes Excel 2007 and Excel 5 (BIFF8) files, CSV (or any separated value such as tab or pipe), HTML and PDF (and its own serialized format).

2) Im not sure where it attempts to save the file, I would just want to email it. Any idea how that would work?
    The file is written to wherever you want it written, and can than then be e-mailed. Alternatively, the output can be spooled for download without ever writing to a file. You could probably write a wrapper for the spooling that would allow your script to capture the binary data and embed it directly in your e-mail.

Take a look at the sample code in the /Tests directory, and you can post any specific questions on the PHPExcel discussion forums.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using it with Office 2007 or Office 2003 (which you can get a compatibility pack for), why not use SpreadsheetML? I have used it in the past, and it is pretty good. You just output XML with styles, formatting, spanned columns etc in, and save it as a .xlsx file, making it compatible with the new office formats

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the minute i've been working on the PHPExcel which is great! Ive asked my host to turn on php_zip.dll as that is required for PHPExcel, but yeah so far so good.

Just gotta work out the spooler to allow me to capture the data..

Thanks Mark