User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Question November Shout Out! How did you come up with that funky user name?

I know how I came up with my user name. How did you come up with yours? There are so many great and mysterious user names at Site Point. It made me wonder, how did you come up with yours?

Mine is a user name given to me by a friend when the old "chat rooms" were popular. Shy, because I am until I get to like you and flower, because I like flower gardening.

For a long-time I used to get Bleys confuse with Beley until I figured out that Beley is Brandon Eley and Bleys is Josh Cantone. How did he come up with that! Maybe he'll tell us.

So back to the subject. Let me know how you came up with your user name. I get to be the judge and I'll choose some of the most interesting stories to publish in the November Community Crier.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Hikari silver trophy artistsneverdie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a construct from a title of a band I used to be really into a number of years ago. The real title is "escape artists never die", which I then decided to strip down to "artistsneverdie" as it worked with my line of work, and also my belief that artwork and design is something you can give back to the world which can reside eternally.

Album artwork can stay with someone as long as they own a CD/ Vinyl, canvas work can hang on walls for centuries, tapestries tell ancient stories, tattoos last a lifetime. I liked the idea that I might create a piece of artwork/ design that even if it was only one person who kept it with them, or remembered it for their lifetime, then I would have achieved my goal.

Hence my username...
    www.hikaridesign.com | Contemporary Design
    Won some awards here once upon a time...

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artistsneverdie
    Mine is a construct from a title of a band I used to be really into a number of years ago.
    I always read your name as aaronnevil ... I don't know why.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is neelayswaree, my father favourite name
    Blooming Artificial: Buy Artificial plants and trees
    Villas: Mauritius Beach Villas
    Mp3 Player: Wire-free mp3player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was the main character in a story I wrote back in Highschool, and since it was unique I ended up using it for every message board I signed up for because I always knew it wouldn't be taken.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My ex girlfriend used to call me Spike but that name had gone as had a few others so in desperation I hit Z - it worked

I really want to know how Tommy came up with AutisticCuckoo which I for years read as ArtisticCuckoo...
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    I really want to know how Tommy came up with AutisticCuckoo which I for years read as ArtisticCuckoo...
    It's the name of my blog, but if you thought it said 'artistic' I can only assume that you've never gone there. It can be called many things, but 'artistic' ain't one of 'em.

Oh, that doesn't explain everything? Well then. The name comes from Douglas Adams's wonderful novel Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, where is mentioned a rock band with the improbable name “Pugilism and the Third Autistic Cuckoo”.

Amazingly, the domain name was available on the first try …
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get told I speak gibberish a lot when I try to explain my ideas while coding and developing architectures. I've come to realize people I tend to work with don't want to know how it works just that is does.

Now I use the name as a handle for every board I frequent and even as character names in games (currently in Warhammer Online and Age of Conan).

Gibberish is even my license plate number on my car, though spelled slightly differently to fit. I did this for the reason above but also because I can never make out half the personalized licenses plates out there so it's a joke in that regard.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for my lack of creativity, i just put my most prominent personal attribute in leetspeak.

also, i love funeral for a friend

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is derived from a limit break move from final fantasy 7 lol (nerdy) "omnislash" since slash is to split apart/break something it became omnibreak for a bit of originality.

Im more commonly known as helium on most other places, but was taken here ¬_¬. That came WAAAAAYY back from when i was 12-13 and i went on a chat room for a joke with a friend of mine, and she said we should be called helium_balloon... then from then on i was that then later droped the balloon to be helium :P lol

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been creative with usernames
    MySQL v5.1.58
    PHP v5.3.6

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this wacky idea to use my first name - and then..yes, I appended the first initial of my last name to it (which is "L", by the way - in case you didn't pick that up)

me so cleva.

~ Nate L ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    simply because my name is princess, i made it short, my nickname is cess and then i used my lastname...and in short "cessvergara" came from princess vergara, which is my fullname..
    HIGH QUALITY DESIGN & CODE
    msn: cessvergara@live.com

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessvergara View Post
    simply because my name is princess, i made it short, my nickname is cess and then i used my lastname...and in short "cessvergara" came from princess vergara, which is my fullname..
    Your name is Princess or are you a Princess (like, for real)?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Partch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility
    Swedish metal rocks
    I prefer Norwegian metal.
    I rather like Finnish metal when coding: Sonata Arctica, Turisas, Korpiklaani... though I also like Finnish surf music like Laika and the Cosmonauts... those wacky Finns, making good music. I had to get used to joiking though-- sounded like Native Americans.

Amon Amarth might be the only Swedish band I've listened to recently...

------
    A stomme poes is a stupid cat. Not a smart cat, but a dumb one. Like ours.

Our cat will tilt its head sideways and puff up into a huge ball and dance sideways, usually into a door or the wall. It whines and waits all day for food, but runs to the bowl when you come downstairs... where it discovers that it actually had food all night long.

No, not dementia, it's always been this way. A chronic case of stupid.

Which is how I felt when I started this HTML and CSS stuff. I now use Stomme Poes for pretty much anything web-wise, though earlier I used names I grew fond of when studying zoology (now they're passwords in various forms) and I had at least one radiological nick when I was taking xrays and doing cat scans. Yesh, they are still taken Axially, so yesh, they are still CAT scans-- I think folks just didn't want to tell someone's Grandma they she was going to have a PET-CAT scan, so they shortened it to make it look more professional.
    Next thing you know they'll be calling it a PT scan. Bleh.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's just my last name

Luckily its a rare surname so it's never taken. When it is I use JArkinstall or JakeArkinstall.

I don't put much imagination into it, but that's how I prefer it. It's more... personal.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My full name is James Bahe, but I'm commonly refered to as Jim Bahe. Apparently that name is really fun to say loud and all at once as one name (my nickname in real life is my full name...) anyways I just thought zimbabwe one day when someone said jimbahe thus jimbabwe. In the past it hasn't been taken, but I'm finding more and more that it's being taken when I try to sign up. Someone took it here so I had to add the 00.

When I was young I was trying desperately to come up with a screen name. One day while watching tv and thinking up names a commercial came on about the gout and thus my screen name was born. I used it until I was about 20 or so, and it's still floating around out there on some quake3 message boards and level design sites.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Talking

Mine, well, let me see, where do I begin.

Erm, sorry to inform you guys, but I'm not called Spence. My real name is Neil.

When I first came across SitePoint I wanted to join in the organized chaos and learn all about html, php, mysql, jav... You get the idea.

At the time of registering it asks you to use a username, well at this exact point I was stuck. I mean, the only thing that rhymes with Neil is 'Orange peel' which I did not really want. So, after some very careful thought I came up with Spence_noodle. You are at this point shouting 'Why?' at the monitor, well it was just pot luck really.

I wanted a name to confuse, not just the wife if she ever found out I was chatting away and she decided to do a quick search for me, but also to confuse everyone else. I didn't at the time want anyone who did a search to find me on SPF asking questions just after they have visted one of my websites. I thought they might get to know the insides on how the script works, etc...

Anyway, Spence was the first name that came into my head and then I thought Noodle rhymed with it, hence Spence_noodle. It was just a spare of the moment thing and has since stuck.

My avatar has changed over the past years, only to end up as another bug along side all the other avatar bugs in SPF.

Well, thats it, my secret is finally out. I can now sleep at night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My middle name is Cholmondeley, but I often ran into length limitations years ago, mainly in IRC...so I just cut it short. I rarely ran into name collisions, so I stuck with it.
    Drew C King: PHP Developer
    <?= $short_tags++ ?>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    periodic table of elements in 9th grade
    ---
    Paul S. Smith
    technetic | design & code

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All!

My name is derived from the great german philosopher Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.

He is the godfather of the dialectic, the idea that thought
    moves forward by reflection, analysed as a movement from these > antithese > synthese.

Which relates to an important thruth on the internet:
    it's the content that matters.

Rob.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My real name is Connie Rose and grew up in California and was a bikini model. But then I had that "operation" and changed my name to Conrad and then added "cal" for california.. with an "i" before that because I LOVE iCarly... so it is Conradical now. I'm still a bikini model though.

None of that is true. Just Conrad + radical

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came up with my name during my Linux phase and wanted a feminine description (since I'm a girl) of a penguin. Hence, my name, Penguinette.
    My top 3: TheSkinnyWebsite, ChickLitbooks,TheSkinnyForum

Six-figure bloggin' since 2006.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My name comes from the oooooold days when chatting was starting out and internet was faaaar away from what it is now. My sister and I were playing around and visiting sites, and we ended up in Yahoo's chat (at the time, there were not many to choose from). We had to signed up and we didn't know what to put there and we were making jokes and thinking the stupidest name we could find to sign up... and she said something like

"this is so cool, all this interent stuff and such... I bet we must be the coolest around here"

and I said,

"That's it. We are cool. Therefore I am the cool girl"

Which is what molona means in english "cool girl"

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was simply my favourite song at the time, about 8 years ago now.

Iced Earth - Stormrider.

It isn't any more, but the name stuck (I just thought it was a cool nickname), and I guess it kind of applies now I've taken up gliding - I've 'ridden' near some storm fronts in real life now, pretty amazing experience!