SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Desktop: Dell or HP?

Hi,
    I'm finally getting around to upgrading my home office desktop (currently working on a Dell Dimension 4600 with XP) and would appreciate some validation on what I'm considering.

I've always purchased Dell computers, but I'm intrigued with the recent market share increase of HP.

I'm a heavy user Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and MS Office products and will be upgrading to Adobe CS4, latest Office, and Vista (ugh).

Here's what I'm looking at:
    Dell XPS 420 - Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 8MB 2.4Ghz; 4GB SDRAM
    or
    HP Pavillion a666t - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300; 4GB SDRam

They both come in around the same price.

Which would you go with? Why?

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally, I've never had anything but trouble with HP products other than printers. Failed hard drives (2), bad connectors which cause screens to go nearly black, motherboard crashes.

I've gone through three different HP machines in the time I've had one Gateway machine running.

I've also done work on both, and I can tell you that I prefer the assembly and access work for the Dells. They're much easier to work with. At least for my large hands.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew people who would problems with HP Desktops in the past as well. Mike Hurd took over a dying company in 2005 when he became CEO of HP. However it appears that he has turned that around and its a different company now.

Before last October, I wouldn't purchase an HP computer but then I decided it was too time consuming and wasn't cost effective over time to purchase components and build my own computer. I just wanted something out of the box. What I ended up with was an HP computer. I just didn't like anything else at the local Circuit City. Not top of the line but I rarely budget more than $750.00 for a computer anyway. Anyway since that time, the computer has run without any problems whatsoever. Software updates are released in a timely fashion and I have no problems with Windows Vista running on it (what the computer shipped with).

Since that time, my mother has purchased two Dells and I purchased a second HP desktop for my wife to use. My mother has had her Dell Desktop for about 6 months and has already made 30 calls to Dell's technical support mostly for little things but its time consuming. It took her 3 months to have her Dell Laptop delivered. First they told her they didn't have any hard drives, next it was processors, finally it was the monitor itself. Amazingly after calling to cancel her order after being yanked around for so long, they had it delivered the next day even though the rep told her that the power supply was out of stock. Neither of her computers are specialized and both are "off-the-shelf" mid-range models.

I haven't had to call HP once and both my computers run great. Looking into buying an HP laptop for my own use now. After 15 years of building computers and maintaining them myself, its nice to just purchase one that works out of the box. I used to recommend Dell but they appear to be going downhill while HP is passing them by in quality.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying any computer from HP or Dell make sure you get a reinstallation DVD of Windows, an actual Windows install DVD. Dell and HP load on a lot of crap programs that you want to remove, either by uninstalling or clean install of Windows.
    Last edited by logic_earth; Nov 20, 2008 at 00:45.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How 'bout a Dell with Ubuntu installed?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i prefer DELL...

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had great luck with both Dell and HP and I've also had horror stories with each. At the moment I'm having issues with the HP repair center and my notebook, but I'll try not to drag them through the mud too much...

I'd get whichever can offer you a better price. As rypher said, you could consider going Dell with an open source OS such as Ubuntu. The money you save on the OS you could put back into hardware and get a nicer system.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are those HP and Dell machines priced at, and what are the full specs including HD and DVD etc...?

Can I say neither and suggest you build it yourself?

Anyone that knows which end of a screwdriver to hold can build a pc of their own in about 2 hours and it's so nice to know the quality of the parts you're putting into your PC.

I've built about a pc a year for the past 6 years and have never had a major hardware issue (I had a dvd drive go and the onboard Lan on one machine) and the worst part of the process is installing software and waiting while all the Windows updates are applied.

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ravedesigns Building a PC is not a bad idea but it isn't for everyone.

I don't think you will go wrong with either one for your needs.
    Used Dell and HP and both were alright.

The one you pick will be up to you.

Dell XPS 420
    HP Pavilion a6660t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your input.

logic_earth: Good idea to remember to get the CDs.

Ravedesigns: thanks for the idea, but it's not an option for me to build my own.

I also will be going with the standard Windows OS.

I've only had minor incidents with my Dells over the years (mostly just the service department!) so I guess I'm looking for an overwhelming reason to move to an HP.

Here's a question:
    Do you think HP has a better monitor offering than Dell? I'm not going with the Touchsmart, but I think a 24 flat.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dell is the way to go - my husband is a computer geek and rebuilds computers. He had a client who had an HP computer, it took him 3 months to rebuild that computer because HP kept sending him wrong/faulty parts. We were not impressed by their customer service. I would certainly recommend Dell!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by netqwik View Post
    Dell is the way to go - my husband is a computer geek and rebuilds computers. He had a client who had an HP computer, it took him 3 months to rebuild that computer because HP kept sending him wrong/faulty parts. We were not impressed by their customer service. I would certainly recommend Dell!

Very interesting!

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recommend: XPS 420 && 24 flat (touchsmart == null && void)

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dell used to be praised left and right for their superior customer service, and indeed it was spectacular. What ever happened with that? Maybe it all went down the drain when they moved their call center overseas...
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolik View Post
    Dell used to be praised left and right for their superior customer service, and indeed it was spectacular. What ever happened with that? Maybe it all went down the drain when they moved their call center overseas...
    They shipped everything to India.. Now I am not saying that you can't find good support in India but it appears that Dell went with the cheapest bid to cut costs.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go for Dell I really like their brand and quality.