SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Web Developer SEVERELY lacking motivation

I have been doing this for 8 years, and have been doing farely well. The problem is, that I am used to being busy all day, every day. Since the economic downturn, I have been spending the past few months just sitting here, waiting for people to call or email. Work still comes in from time to time, and it sustains us, but I don't have any work for *me*. Just my programmer and designer. I should use this time to build my business, but am just not motivated! What do I do? Helllllp!

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the slow period to take a vacation. Travel, if you can. Or pick up a new hobby/skill. Change careers!

There's more to life than web work, you know... and if you're right now not motivated to this kind of work that may be a good sign that it's not really what you want for yourself today.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my top ten list of design galleries that always get me back in the saddle. The clickable post is located on nicheflips.com, my new site for web flippers.

1. WeLoveWp.com
    2. FullSingle.com
    3. CSSRank.com
    4. LightOnDark.com
    5. CSSMania.com
    6. DailySlurp.com
    7. CSSClip.com
    8. BestWebGallery.com
    9. CSSBased.com
    10. Screenalicio.us
    11. One over but I had to add my favorite: FeedMyApp.com

Hope this helps.
    Mark
    Last edited by spikeZ; Nov 21, 2008 at 03:45.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the time to learn something that you've never had a chance to learn properly which may give you the chance to earn more money when things get better.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been in a simliar position previously where i've had to go to work just so i am there to fulfill my contractual hours. However there wasn't any work to be doing and i have to say that those days were the most difficult by far! Being busy helps make the time go by!

I'd say unless its the case that your just not motivated by web design any more you need to sit down and set yourself an inhouse project to give you something to get stuck into. Use your programmer and designer to help drive it by having regular sit downs and constructive meetings to help drive the project forward, once you get underway you'll be happy again!

i've always found the hardest part of anything is actually starting it, once its underway you'll get an appite for it and its easy to keep pushing forward.