SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frame trouble (inconsistent targets). Any help? Or how to get rid of the frames?

Okay, I have a pretty straightforward frame layout in a page I inherited (did not design myself).

I know the troubles with frames regarding links, indexing, refreshing, etc... I don't like frames, but here I am with them.

The site has flash on the left frame (_main) and html documents that load on the right frame (_content). The flash acts as a document delivery system / pretty index for the html documents. There are over 1000 documents in all we are talking about.

The main index page setting up the frames looks like this, and I cannot find any errors in it. Can you?
    PHP Code:
    <html>

<
    head>
    <
    meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <
    title>Siemens Product Catalog</title>
    <
    link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="_themes/bops-blueprint/noprint.css">
    <
    link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="_themes/bops-blueprint/noscreen.css">
    <!--
    mstheme--><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="_themes/bops-blueprint/bops1011.css"><meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="bops-blueprint 1011, default">
    </
    head>

<
    frameset cols="340,67%">
        <
    frame name="_menu" scrolling="no" src="O4menu2.html" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" noresize>
        <
    frame name="_content" scrolling="auto" noresize src="welcome.htm">
        <
    noframes>
        <
    body>

<
    p>This page uses framesbut your browser doesn't support them.</p>

</body>
        </noframes>
    </frameset>

</html> 
    The problem I am having is that links that have a target="_content" work just fine MOST of the time. Probably 99%. But sometimes they will open up in a NEW window. Once this starts, that user will get this problem more and more frequently until it happens all the time. Restarting the computer sometimes helps, other times it just goes away in a few days on its own. It seems like voodoo to me.

Any idea why this would happen? It really hurts the navigation and flow of the page.

Even worse, I now want to use the right frame for some dynamic client side content using actionscript, javascript, and external interface. This means the frame relationship must exist correctly or my javascript cannot find my flash file and vice-versa. So now an annoying problem is game-breaking.

Can I get rid of the frames?
    Frames are bad. Can I get rid of them and still keep our flash loader on all pages without it reloading the flash on each page change.

Worse yet, I am basically on a glorified lan folder here. I have no server side scripting at all (no php includes or anything like that), which is why the previous user went with flash and frames, so some dynamic content could be done client side on the flash half of the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an odd problem. Do you have URL to look at by any chance? I can't think of a thing that would cause that behavior.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, this is internal only, running on our INTRAnet here at work. Basically a lan folder with a web address.

Also, the content is confidential (another reason this is intranet only).

The third problem is I have been using this site for 5 years and have never had the problem when sitting at my desk, but have seen others with the problem, and my computer will sometimes do it if I am in a conference room demo-ing the site. This is either murphys law or voodoo.

I can't ever find anyone who has seen this problem before, and it kills me every time I see it. (always when my Boss' Boss is inspecting it, and since they know nothing about computers my complaints that this 'bug' makes NO sense falls on deaf ears).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, one more odd thing. Everything uses relative addressing, but if I try to copy the site to a DVD or any other location, ALL the target="_content" links start opening up in new windows.

Maybe I should just blame FrontPage. (the pages are developed with frontpage since it is the only wysiwyg editor we had for free that supported templates and such). I hate wysiwyg editors, especially frontpage, but none of our content creators know a lick of html.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without any code to trouble shoot, I'm the in dark. I haven't used frames since my sophomore or junior year at my community college for my initial degree. Ever since then, they were the ban of my existence. I haven't used FP in years, because it's a piece of garbage. Having said that, there's something strange going on. Without seeing the code or a demonstration, it's hard to tell.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a scientific wild a$$ guess (SWAG), I wondered if the underscore had anything to do with this mystery, since there are four reserved keywords in frames that deal with underscores. After I did a Google search, I stumbled across this:

http://webdesign.about.com/cs/frames...aadvframes.htm

Look at the section titled "Special Targets". Remove the underscore character from your name on the frame set page and see if this corrects the problem.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design