User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

Quote Originally Posted by ghurtado
    If I understood it right, this would work by using the overloading extension as a means to "decorate" the base classes with custom "aspects" during runtime.
    Yes, that's basically it. The catch is that any classes that could be decorated need to be inherited from Aspectable (yukky name) or to have the overload function added explicitely.

Quote Originally Posted by ghurtado
    Does anyone have any good tutorials / resources on how to use the overload() function as a Decorator pattern?.
    As things will be different for PHP5 I was waiting for it's formal release. You then write your own tutorial after having a play . Fancy writing one?

yours, Marcus
    Marcus Baker
    Testing: SimpleTest, Cgreen, Fakemail
    Other: Phemto dependency injector
    Books: PHP in Action, 97 things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might give it a try in the future. What I am mostly trying to decide still is: how long is it going to be for PHP5 to become mainstream? If so, then I might just prefer to hack together something that is PHP4 compatible, but like I said, for the moment I'm just trying to bounce ideas off of other people (or watch them bounce against me )

Thanks for your insight, Marcus.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP5 should be mainstream by mid-summer 2004 as I see it... Provided there are no complications on the roll - out that is

Thus I no longer script PHP4.x as it's no point really; Another 6 months and we're all having to use another version of PHP begging us developer's to learn a all new language when you really think about it at the end of the day ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't agree with that standpoint . First of all, PHP5 was supposed to have been released formally early this year. It still hasnt happened, as we are about to close the year, a generous estimate would place the first production release somewhere late spring / early summer. Most adopters will likely wait a couple of production releases until the major bugs are worked out and the release is more stable. That will probably place mainstream adoption to begin towards the end of next year. I dont see this process reaching the majority of PHP users taking less than a year, so my best estimate tells me I will probably be coding PHP4 compatible code until close to 2006. Every individual's situation is bound to be different, but for the hosting company that has thousands of clients with thousands of websites and millions of lines of PHP4 code, no matter how small the changes in PHP5, they are bound to take a conservative approach to upgrading.

BTW, I have read long about the new features and changes in PHP5 and I do not see it as an "all new language" at all, more like a couple OOP constructs were missing and are now available, and a number of quirks have been worked out. I will not be coding significantly different with PHP5 as I am already making my PHP4 concious (sp?) of the changes that are coming. It is very possible to have a smooth transition in your coding style to the point that all PHP4 code you write today will still work in PHP5 and will not be that different from how you will code then. It's all about awareness