SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 63
  1. #26
    SitePoint Enthusiast headless1226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ughh why does the internet have to be an output for content theft...I wish everyone would just play nice and WRITE YOUR OWN !
    Develareel Innovate
    Blogsreel Reel World Blog
    Social Network Connect here

  2. #27
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,789
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    Why? Wikipedia chose to allow others to copy their content. That is part of the reason they are so popular, it is a true open source encyclopaedia.
    The of course there is a lot of content on Wikipedia that is actually illegally copied from elsewhere as well since anyone can post there and a number of posters incapable of writing their own content just post someone else's. This is of course NOT what the creators of the site intended and they presumably delete such content when they find out. What it does mean though is that you can't assume that everything that appears on Wikipedia is actual legal content that can be copied under their licence as if the content was originally stolen from elsewhere then it would still be illegal since Wikipedia do not have the right to grant that permission for that content.

    Just another example of how copying content can lead to trouble even when the 'supposed' owner grants permission.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  3. #28
    phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3,626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by egracecreative View Post
    And doesn't it just call our ethics into question anyway?
    It does for me. On this forum people write because they want to be involved in the site. I would never want to be involved in a site that was a bunch of reworked duplicate content. Would you? If so, why?

  4. #29
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't buy the plugin it sucks, i once installed it and copied articles and pasted them to my blog, and i test in copyscape.com and all the articles detected as duplicate contents by copyscape.

  5. #30
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longrunner View Post
    Don't buy the plugin it sucks, i once installed it and copied articles and pasted them to my blog, and i test in copyscape.com and all the articles detected as duplicate contents by copyscape.

    Surprising that you would admit that you scraped content since it is both unethical and illegal.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  6. #31
    SitePoint Wizard ryanhellyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longrunner View Post
    Don't buy the plugin it sucks, i once installed it and copied articles and pasted them to my blog, and i test in copyscape.com and all the articles detected as duplicate contents by copyscape.
    I'm probably wasting my breathe here, but just in case there is a moral reason for using this plugin (that we haven't thought of) could you please explain what that is?

  7. #32
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldn't recommend using any automatic content generator.

    Unique, quality content is the cornerstone of all successful sites and without it, you aren't going to achieve anything spectacular.
    How Make Money - 1 on 1 SEO Training

  8. #33
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and why use someone elses content anyways and risk the ban from the search engines

  9. #34
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few plugins that i think worpress should question!

  10. #35
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to come up with any possible ethical reason for this plugin and can't.

    From what I understand, it only adds special invisible characters to your article to fool search engines into believing it is unique content.

    How can that POSSIBLY be ethical?

  11. #36
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,789
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suppose that you could have it insert tyhose invisible characters as a watermark in your original content to make it easier to demonstrate that the text was copied from your site.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  12. #37
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thinking, though that is clearly not the intention of this. However, that could be a good plugin to create.

  13. #38
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,789
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well that is about the only legitimate use I could think of that the plugin could do. Probably not the most efficient way to achieve that result though. You really want it adding the "watermark" characters so that they DON'T interfere with copyscape etc identifying the duplicate content.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  14. #39
    Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mittineague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    West Springfield, Massachusetts
    Posts
    17,044
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The seller of the plugin is obviously targeting scrapers. The only legit use I can think of might be for a post appearing as
    post under - Title
    post under - Archive/
    post under - Category/
    where the "longer URL path to the same" post might be considered as duplicate. But it seems that it would be better to have the links as "nofollow" instead. There are other free plugins, eg. "all in one SEO plugin", that do that and more.

  15. #40
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridiculous. Unique content from YOU is the way to go.
    TYCP Magazine
    Picspaces - image hosting with unlimited bandwidth
    Hollywood Encountered - submit your celebrity encounters

  16. #41
    SitePoint Wizard ryanhellyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cchildress View Post
    yea I think it is pretty wothless because if someone reads your content they will immediatly see that is is just garbled nonsense. you don't want that.
    No it won't. The plugin adds HTML between the text. It doesn't actually render it on the screen. The only way they'd know it has been changed is by viewing the source code.

  17. #42
    SitePoint Guru htpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has shown what a difference there is between posters on SP and DP forums when it comes to web ethics. If you search for "uniquifier" on DP you'll see a bunch of people clamouring to buy this plugin, yet folks here feel quite strongly against such practices.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

  18. #43
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    This thread has shown what a difference there is between posters on SP and DP forums when it comes to web ethics. If you search for "uniquifier" on DP you'll see a bunch of people clamouring to buy this plugin, yet folks here feel quite strongly against such practices.

    I guess that's why I would rather be here than there.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  19. #44
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there,
    I am goscript, the author of the Uniquefier Plugin.
    Someone brought this thread to my attention so here I am to clarify some aspects.

    Firstly: Does it works? Yes it does.
    Despite the fact that the plugin uses a not so complicated method, the results are positive. The are almost 3 months since I firstly released a version of it, since then all pages using Uniquefier are passing both Copyscape and are unique content in Google index (no page goes in duplicate).
    Will this work forever? This is something I cannot give an answer to as search engines algorithms can change any time. I myself know this method for years (4-5 at least). Since then it's working.

    Secondly: This is not a tool that encourages copyright theft.
    Everyone chooses how to use it. Some use it because they own several blogs and want to be able to write just one article and publish in all of them without fearing of being penalized for dupe. Others use it because they use free PLR articles, again, the Uniquefier will be a benefit to them. Some people may choose, as it has been specified also in this thread, to use it in conjunction with scrapping tools and so on which will lead them to copyright infringement.
    Everyone is free to select their way of using it, both positive or negative. If they choose the positive way, good for them, if they not, they can suffer hard consequences.

    In conclusion, you cannot blame Uniquefier for being the tool that leads to copyright infringement. Uniquefier will not copy+paste articles into your blog, you will do this. Should we blame WordPress too? As the Uniquefier cannot exist without WordPress.

    In short, Uniquefier is just a tool that will make your wordpress posts look unique in search engines eyes.

    Cheers,
    goscript

  20. #45
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,789
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only penalty for duplicate content is that only one copy the content gets listed in the search results. Therefore in so far as using it when you put the same content that you own on multiple pages the overall result will be to have no effect since you are only competing with yourself to get listed in that instance.

    Using free PLR articles without actually rewriting at least 25&#37; into your own words means that all you are doing is publishing a duplicate of someone else's material and that does not deserve to be listed in the search engines at all. If you don't rewrite the material then you are not using PLR material properly. Uniquefier just promotes not learning to do it right.

    This most definitely is a tool that encourages copyright theft since it serves no useful legal purpose. Certainly there is nothing that forces you to use it illegally as you can always use it to convert your own articles into crap but the only reason anyone would want to do that is because they haven't realised that it can't produce anything else.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  21. #46
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with Stephen. The reason that Search Engines search for original content is so that their users (the visitors, not the webmasters) end up with searches that give them a variety of information, not the same old stuff on search result after search result. If people are too lazy to put fresh content on more than one blog, they should have only one blog. If they are too lazy to put fresh content on any blog, then they shouldn't bother to blog at all.

    "Tools" like this clog up search engines and make finding relevant information difficult for every user. They corrupt the web and make it look bad for all of us.

    What if SitePoint used such a plug in for its in-house search? Would you be happy finding the same thread over and over again, with just a different url attached? I doubt it.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  22. #47
    Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mittineague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    West Springfield, Massachusetts
    Posts
    17,044
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goscript
    This is not a tool that encourages copyright theft.
    Please, spin it all you want, but I wasn't born yesterday. The fact that you emphasize it fools copyscape makes the intended use perfectly clear. I would like to see a link to even just 1 site that is using this plugin for legitimate purposes.

    Ad&#38;#173;ding soft-hyp&#38;#173;ens to fool se&#38;#173;arch e&#38;#173;ngin&#38;#173;es at the expense of messing up rendering for visitors, (and messing up RSS feeds too BTW), is not only aga&#38;#173;inst Google's guid&#38;#173;elines, but why would a le&#38;#173;gitimate blo&#38;#173;gger want to muc&#38;#173;k up th&#38;#173;eir blog usi&#38;#173;ng it?

  23. #48
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this script one months ago, and i used it on 4 sites. It worked well but, today I have checked all sites with copyscape and I got same results for all: duplicate content, I dont understand what happened, because I dont made any changes

  24. #49
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,789
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IORGUSS View Post
    I bought this script one months ago, and i used it on 4 sites. It worked well but, today I have checked all sites with copyscape and I got same results for all: duplicate content, I dont understand what happened, because I dont made any changes
    Looks like Copyscape now recognises this method of trying to pretend that your content isn't a duplicate. It was only going to be a matter of how long rather than if they would detect it.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  25. #50
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Kingdom of Denmark
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which, I might add, is excellent news.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •